23. Missing

— • —

— • —

      "Ms.Moon."

      The unmistakable voice of Mr.Warren quickly brought Luna back to reality, all eyes turned to her as she lifted herself up from where she was lying on the stage. When the opportunity arose to escape her class, she took off running, finding solace in the empty auditorium, or more specifically, the empty stage. All the distress and sadness she felt from her talk with Peter seemed to vanish the moment she stepped on the stage, a sigh immediately leaving her lips before she found herself lying down on the center of the floor.

      Peter had been reluctant to let her go when they first arrived at school, his hand holding hers tightly as they walked to their lockers. There was no mistaking the worry across his face, and Mia and Liz could detect that immediately, the two watching in confusion as he spoke in whispers to his girlfriend. They kept their distance as the conversation took place, not seeming to connect Peter's deep frown to the bags beneath Luna's eyes. He left her on her own eventually, only after a prolonged hug and a delicate kiss on her forehead, followed by a quiet reminder of the love he held for the girl.

      From then on, it wasn't brought up again. The concern was immediately shifted to Mia, who, unlike Luna, seemed to be coping with things much better. Her smile was still present, hair neatly styled in typical Mia fashion. She insisted she was okay to her two friends when they asked, informing them that she released all her feelings to her brother the night before and no longer harbored harsh thoughts about the near death experience.

      That gave Luna one less thing to worry about.

      Though, that worry was quickly brought back as the school news team began speaking on the television above them. Luna couldn't help but frown as she listened to Betty Brant and Jason Ionello speak about "the Spider-Man", as they put it. She shifted in discomfort as she tore her eyes away, clearing her throat to make both her friends tear their eyes away from the video. She didn't catch the look Liz was sending her way, simply locking arms with Mia, keeping her head down as the three walked down the hall together.

      "Sorry," Luna mumbled, scrambling to collect her belongings that had been dumped to the side. Mr.Warren was frowning at the girl as she rushed off the stage, not daring to meet the eyes of him or her fellow drama club members. "I was just... I don't know."

      "Ms.Moon." Luna looked up as she was addressed, tensing up as she saw the familiar look of worry. "Is everything alright? I know you were involved with what happened at the Decathelon..."

      "Fine." Luna forced a smile, walking backwards towards the doors. "Just tired is all. Thanks for the concern." She didn't give the teacher a chance to retort, quickly whirling around and running to the doors, eager to get away from the prying eyes. She let out a sigh of relief as she exited the auditorium, back leaning against the closed doors, eyes fluttering shut.