06. Aching Hearts

— • —

— • —

She eventually stopped crying, but that didn't mean anybody in the Giraldo household was any happier. Diana and Victoria watched as Luna rushed past the living room and went straight up to her room, Andrew trailing behind. She spent the entire night locked in her bedroom, muttering a "go away" to each person who knocked on her door. By the time Mia was called to try to get in, she gave up, just letting the girl in so her family could stop their pestering.

Luna sighed as she leant back against Liz, the girl's arms wrapped tightly around her as she sat on her lap. The subway ride to school was already bad when she was in a good mood, but with the frown she wore and the people stood all too close, everything just seemed to be much worse. Luna could feel Liz frowning against her, making her glance over her shoulder to her friend.

"You okay?"

It was the same question she's been hearing since she threw open the door of her house the previous night. Yet, she still didn't have an answer. They weren't broken up, or at least she wanted to think they weren't, so was she okay? Whatever the hell was happening between herself and Peter wasn't okay, so by default, that meant she wasn't okay. But she couldn't tell anybody that. Because then they'd get concerned, and the last thing she needed to add to the equation was people concerned about her emotional state even more.

Luna nodded, "I'm fine." Biggest lie of the year.

Liz didn't question the girl anymore, making their walk from the train to the school all too quiet. Liz opened her mouth to begin a conversation, but remained silence as a group of girls rushed towards the two.

"Hey Luna, we loved the show, is it possible we can get you in for an interview?"

Luna blinked, looking over to her best friend quickly. "I, uhm, I promised Liz one already. Sorry." And that was the second lie she told that morning. Because why on Earth would her best friend ask to interview her like she was some celebrity? Hell, she barely had two hundred followers on instagram.

The girls' eyes trailed over to said girl beside her, Liz shooting them a small smile. "Sorry guys, you can try another cast member." The girls all shrugged in response, congratulating Luna once more before leaving the two to themselves. "So I'm interviewing you now? Who are you, Emma Watson?"

"I wish," Luna muttered, letting out a sigh of relief as the locker beside hers wasn't opened. "I just didn't want those girls to ask me anything non-play related, and knowing the girls at this school, they would."

Liz shrugged. "Fair enough." Her eyes lingered on the locker two down from Luna's as they passed it, noticing how her best friend avoided looking at it at all cost. "Was it that bad?" Luna's eyebrows knitted together in confusion, and she got Liz a look as she worked on opening her locker. "That you can't even look at his locker?"