04. Broken Promises

— • —

— • —

      Luna did not perform well under pressure. It was ironic in a way, seeing as she was an actress who always aimed to be the main character, one of the most pressured people in the entire play, but it didn't seem to apply when it came to acting. In another other part of her life, it did. Like now, the opening day of the play she'd been spending three months trying to perfect. From tweaking the scripts, to printing tens of copies, holding auditions, helping with constructing the set, promoting it on every social media site and placing posters in the most crowded parts of the school, while simulatanously being a lead in the play, it was safe to say she was under a lot of pressure.

     She let out a huff as she stepped out onto the stage, examining the flowers that were apart of the set. When she took on the role of president, she knew it was going to be hard work, but she was tired. All she wanted to do was curl up in bed and sleep for an entire day, but no, she had to be there hours ahead to make sure things went to plan.

      Letting out a yawn, she nodded to the girl from stage crew looking at her for instructions. "They're perfect, how much?" She reached for her phone to pay the girl for the flowers she brought for the set, just for her wrist to be grabbed. The girl offered her a smile, shaking her head before wordlessly walking away. Luna's eyes watched her as she walked away, unsure of why she didn't accept her money, but grateful nonetheless.

      "Hey director, got time to talk to a fan?" Luna turned as a voice echoed through the auditorium, a tired smile settling on her lips as she watched her three close friends walk down the isle. Mia led the group, being the one who called out to her, Ned and Liz trailing behind her, a bouquet in Ned's hands. Luna jumped off the stage, meeting her friends halfway, gratefully accepting the coffee Mia offered. "They're really working you hard?"

      Luna shrugged, glancing back at the stage. "More like I'm working them hard, I feel like I just stand here and boss everyone around." She looked past Mia to Ned, smiling slightly. "Are those for me?"

      Ned chuckled nervously, "No? Yes? Can you pretend you never saw them and be surprised after the show when I hand them to you?"

      "I think I can do that," She chuckled, taking another sip from the coffee cup. It was silent for a moment before Luna's eyebrows knitted together, realizing why it felt like something wasn't right. It seemed Ned could guess what she was thinking, his lips tugging into a frown as she looked over the three. "You guys didn't tell Peter you were coming early?"

      "We would have, but you're the only one that can ever get ahold of him after school," Liz shrugged. "All three of us tried calling him, but no response."

      Luna pursed her lips. "Let me try him." The three nodded, allowing her to leave them behind as she ran backstage where her bag was, her costume stuffed into it. After fumbling for a while, she pulled out the phone, smiling slightly at the messages from her family wishing her good luck and promising they'd see her later that night. It didn't take long for her to find Peter's contact, seeing as she texted him every morning to make sure he wasn't running late, making him one of her recents. After getting his voicemail twice, she gave up, letting out a sigh of defeat.

      "Well?" Ned asked hopeful as she approached them again, the three all situated in chairs now. "Were you able to get ahold of him?"

      "He won't be able to make it," She forced a slight smile as all three frowned. "It's fine though, you know he's got his internship."

      "I heard Tony Stark is an asshole, but not that much of an ass to not let his fifteen year old intern get a day off to see his girlfriend's play. I mean, really Moonie?" Liz rose an eyebrow.

      Luna flinched at the use of the nickname, Peter recently adopting it as his own. Mia, not so discreetly, nudged Liz, shooting her a pointed look. "It's fine, Liz," She retorted, the four knowing fully well that it was anything but fine. "Look, I gotta finish fixing the set, then get myself in character. I'll see you guys after the show, okay?" She gave them a half-hearted smile before leaving the teens, rushing to the stage, eager to occupy herself so she'd stop thinking of the whereabouts of her boyfriend.

      Liz huffed, crossing her arms. "I'm going to kill, Parker." She turned to Ned, narrowing her eyes. "Don't warn him either Ned, he's dead to me."

      "She's so far from fine," Mia sighed, watching as Luna helped wheel a painted apartment set onto the stage. "Do you really think he's at his internship?"

      "No doubt about it," Ned instantly responded, "it's the only thing I could see him missing this for, I mean, he's basically in love with Luna. Up until now, I thought she was the only thing he'd put before his internship."

      "Well, he fooled us all," Liz muttered.

      Hours had long passed, and they were well into the play now. Luna had been peaking through the curtains all night long, hoping to see the empty seat beside Ned eventually occupied, just to be disappointed by the sight of it each time. She'd completely lost hope at this point, Peter going to the back of her mind as she focused on putting on a good show. The turn out had been amazing, the auditorium filled to the point where people sat on stairs and leant against the back wall. Making the drama club cool again was a success.

      "Hey." Luna whirled around, tearing her attention away from the singing girls on stage to meet familiar brown eyes. A smile lit up her face and she threw her arms around the man, a laugh rumbling through his chest. "Miss me?"

      "Of course," She chuckled, glancing back at the stage. "I didn't think you'd be able to make it."

      "I had to check if you're doing a better job at being president than me," Doug mockingly glared at her, "and clearly you are, look at how many people are here." He gestured to the stage. "And the set is amazing. I knew I made the right choice making you president."

Luna grinned. "That means a lot coming from you." They both turned as the crowd bursted into cheers, the curtain shutting as the play came to an end. "I think that's my cue to go on stage." Doug matched her smile, gesturing for her to go ahead, Luna practically skipping onto the stage.

      The rest of the cast joined her on stage, all of them joining hands as the curtain was pulled back open, the cheers growing louder. They all bowed before letting go of each other, the mic being handed to Mr.Warren. "Let's have another round of applause for the cast." Luna couldn't help but smile as her eyes landed on her friends and family, all of them on their feet and clapping loudly. "And an especially loud applause for our president of the drama club, Luna Giraldo, without her, the show couldn't have gone on."

      Even with the florescent lights shining down on her, she couldn't hide her blush as the cast stepped back, leaving her at center stage with a bright smile. She took another bow, letting out a nervous chuckle as she locked eyes with Mr.Warren. Her smile only grew as she was presented flowers by Doug, and she brought him in for another hug, whispering a thank you into his ear.

      After being passed around to congratulate her, Luna eventually made her way to her friends and family, immediately being wrapped in a hug. "We're so proud of you Little," Diana gushed, shoving another bouquet into the girl's arms. "Let's go get ice cream, then head home and watch your favorite movie."

      Luna's face lit up with excitement. "High School Musical?" Diana nodded in response, and Luna was grinning as she turned to her friends. Then the grin slowly faded as her gaze landed on three teenagers, rather than four. "Actually..."