09. Uninvited

— • —

— • —

      Luna pursed her lips as she stared at her best friend. "New bra?" She eventually asked, Mia's eyes immediately going down to her chest. She nodded in response, Luna nodding thoughtfully. "Nice. On sale?" Another nod. "Now it's even nicer."

      "Your gay is showing," Liz interjected as she joined the two girls, plopping herself on the bench behind them. "So, to waste time, let's talk DC." Luna's face fell, not going unnoticed by either girl, Mia shuffling closer out of instinct. "I know you bought a room, did you still plan on going?" Luna opened her mouth to reply, but Liz continued speaking. "Actually, Peter quit the team anyways, so that doesn't matter."

      "Wait, he did?" She couldn't help but frown at this newfound information. Her and Peter had made plans to join as many things as they could so by the time college applications were being sent out, they had nothing to worry about. He even tried to coax her into joining the Academic Decathlon, insisting that colleges like stuff like that in a student, but Luna denied, not deeming herself smart enough for the team of geniuses. "Who told you that?"

      Liz grinned. "Liz." Her grin quickly faded as Luna showed no signs of amusement, clearly still hung up on the fact that Peter quit. "Anyways, what I was trying to say was we should still go. I mean, Ned is still on the team, and he's one of our best friends–"

      "Oh shut up, you just want brownie points with Liz," Mia scoffed with a roll of her eyes.

      "That's just a bonus," Liz shrugged, her gaze traveling over to Luna, her arms crossed over her chest. "C'mon Luna, it'll be just like your original plan, just no Peter this time."

      No Peter. She hated the way that sounded, no matter what it was referring to. "Fine," She sighed, head turning as a voice called into the locker room for the girls to make their way to the bleachers. "We'll go, but you two share the bed, and I get my own."

      Liz grinned, jumping up to throw her arms around Luna while Mia let out a whine, not too excited to share a bed with her friend. She maintained her grin as they made their way into the gym, the majority of their classmates already seated. Luna kept her head down as they walked across the gym to the bleachers, knowing a certain boy would stop at nothing to make her lock eyes with him for longer than five seconds.

      Luna completely zoned out as Captain America appeared on the tv screen placed in front of them, Coach Wilson stood proudly beside it. All she could think of was the fact that Peter quit, and she knew exactly why. She loved the fact that he was trying to do the best thing and prevent crimes, but all she wanted was for him to give himself a break. He never allowed himself to be a teenager, and she just hoped that when he grew up, he wouldn't find himself regretting it, especially after she tried to bring him back to reality.

      Coach Wilson blew his whistle, signaling that everyone had to pair off and get to work. Luna stood from the bleachers, beginning to walk in the direction of the mats, just to be tugged back. She shot Liz a look, the girl gripping her upper-arm. "We're sitting over there," She smiled sheepishly, gesturing to where Liz Allan and a few others sat, Mia already joining them. "Don't give me that look, like you actually wanted to work out."