14. Love of a Father

— • —

— • —

      It took her until letter six to realize her father hadn't changed a bit. Nine years is a long time, but Andres Giraldo had somehow been able to stay the exact same person. Even through letter form, he was able to share his terrible dad jokes and make the girl snicker despite being in tears as she did so. The letters were much more heartfelt as they went on, beginning with a reintroduction, and the latest ending with an address and phone number.

      He missed her. Or at least he insisted that he did. He wrote pages upon pages of how dearly he loved her, and how he regretted missing out on most of her childhood. And he insisted that with only a few years left of it, he wanted to be apart of it, or he wanted to try. At that point, she didn't know wether to cry or rip the letter in half. Because if he wanted to be apart of her childhood so badly, he wouldn't have left. He wouldn't let Victoria raise three kids on her own. He wouldn't let Diana act like a second mother because their own was too busy working two jobs. He wouldn't let Andrew make jokes to create this illusion that everything was okay, that they were okay. If he really wanted to be apart of her childhood, he would be the father he was supposed to be.

      Luna awoke the next morning with puffy eyes and letters strewn across her bed, yellow envelopes tossed on the ground. She frowned at the sight around her, picking up the last letter she read the previous night, the wrinkled paper resting on the pillow beside her. Her eyes settled on the address scribbled along the bottom, along with a small "just in case" written beside it.

      She jumped as a knock sounded on her door. "Little? Are you up?" Victoria's voice called through the door, laced with concern. "I heard what happened...are you," She paused when the door was tugged open, Luna offering a slight smile, "okay?"

      "Fine," Luna shrugged, Victoria cautiously stepping into her bedroom. She scanned the room, the mess of letters no longer scattered across her unmade bed, but rather hidden in the book they'd previously been in. "I really don't wanna talk about it, at least not now. Is that okay?"

      Victoria's eyes darted back to the girl, nodding slightly. "That's fine. Are you coming straight home after school?"

      "I don't know, might have some theater stuff to do, and you know, Esther's got the whole self defense class happening now, so...." She trailed off, her mom failing to notice the way her eyebrow twitched.

      "Well, just text me when you're leaving school, okay?"

      Luna gave a tight-lipped smile, nodding in agreement. Victoria nodded one more time before leaving the girl, Luna's shoulders slumping once she did. She wasn't one to lie to her mom, in fact, she wasn't one to lie to anyone unless completely necessary. And she knew that this time it was completely necessary. She threw on a midtown hoodie to throw off any suspicion, avoiding the eyes of both Andrew and Diana as she passed them and walked out of the house. Shooting Mia and Liz a quick text saying she wouldn't be in school, she walked to the train.