21. Teenagers In Love

— • —

— • —

      Post traumatic stress disorder. It wasn't nearly as common in young people as it was in adults, yet, Luna was suffering. She couldn't be the only one, the school bus oddly silent as everyone let reality sink in. Nobody was sure of what to say, what was there to be said that wasn't already said in the news report? They were all there, they all lived the same event, some coming out worse than others.

      Like Mia for example. She hadn't left Liz's side since they got on the bus, arms wrapped around the girl's torso, holding on as tight as possible. She could see Liz reeling her head back ever once in awhile to check on Mia, before going back to resting her head atop of her best friend's. Nobody dared to let their gazes linger on the two girls, knowing that out of all of them, Mia had come closest to death. There was no way anyone could say anything that even compared to what Mia must have felt as she hung over an elevator shaft, only being held by a measly spider-web. Luna was shocked she was even able to speak following the incident, especially to reporters who held no sympathy for the traumatized girl, shoving cameras in her face before she could even wipe her tears away.

      The only one who could possibly relate to her feeling was Luna, but she couldn't tell the girl of her situation, no matter how much she wanted to. It wasn't right to to drop such a load on the girl now, not when the wound was so fresh. But she needed help, which is why she sat in the back of the bus, clinging onto Peter as Mia was to Liz. It was too much to hold in. The PTSD from her first encounter came back stronger than ever, then add a near-death experience to the mix, and feeling helpless as she watched her best friend plummet to what was assumed to be her death, her mental state was in ruins.

      And Peter knew. There was no way for him to not know. Her eyes were wide, dark circles surrounding them, and her hands would unintentionally be shaking until they were held. He needed to be there for her, and now he could be.

      Luna let out a sigh as she shifted, her legs thrown over his lap as her head rested against his chest. His fingers began running through her hair, neither speaking since they got on the bus, aiding with the tension filling the bus. She could hear the way his heart sped up each time she shifted, afraid she was pulling away, before returning to a steady pace when she got herself comfortable again.

      Her eyebrows furrowed as it sped up again, making her lift her head to meet his eyes. "Are you okay?" she asked softly, and shockingly enough, it was the first time he'd been asked that day. So much had happened that nobody had bothered to ask wether he was okay. To them, he appeared in a nick of time, only there for the aftermath of the action. But Luna and Ned knew. They knew he was there for it all, yet neither took the time to ask about his wellbeing after it all.

      Peter hesitated, unsure of how to respond to the question. Did he want to tell her the truth? Because the truth was he wasn't. Again, his two lives had somehow merged themselves, and put him in a situation he never wanted to be in. It was one of the hardest situations he's ever been put in, trying to save his best friends while also wanting to comfort them throughout the entire time. He could remember the way his heart plummeted hearing Luna say she was unable to stand up from how bad she was shaking, because he knew the girl like the back of his hand, and that was enough to tell him she'd accepted her fate. She thought she wasn't going to ever step out of the elevator, and she accepted it, just like that.

      He swallowed harshly, eyes darting between her own. "Did you mean it?" It was the only thing he could think of since they got on the bus. Before Mr.Harrington had pulled him away to scold him, his heart was just about to ready to leap onto of his chest and into Luna's hands. He wasn't even sure what the teacher was saying to him the whole ten minutes he spent speaking, his thoughts too occupied with Luna, and the look of pure admiration in her eyes as she confessed her love for him.

      Luna pursed her lips. "Do you think I meant it?"

      Peter frowned slightly. "That's kind of why I'm asking."

      Luna's hands raised to cup the boy's cheeks, assuring his eyes never left her own. "Peter, do you think I'd say it if I didn't mean it?" His features softened as Luna's thumb stroked his cheek, cheeks heating under her touch. "You stressed me out a lot, and I don't know what the hell you did but I'm happy to have you here. Even if it's just for now, I just like being... close to you, just to know you're there, that's the best feeling in the world. And I-I can't imagine not being like this. Maybe you think it's too soon, which I totally understand, but I meant it. I love you, Peter."

      Peter found himself slowly smiling, shaky laughter leaving his parted lips. His hands went up to rest atop of hers, unaware of how his touch made her tense shoulders relax. "I... I love you too," he breathed, her heart skipping a beat as the words left his mouth.

      With little hesitation, she used the hands holding his face to guide his lips to hers, his eyes fluttering shut in anticipation. This kiss was much more passionate than the one shared at the monument, both could tell from the moment their lips met, which is why it wasn't a shock when their names were called from the front of the bus.

      Luna instantly pulled back, head snapping to the front to see Mr.Harrington standing at the front. He pointed to the two with evident disgust on his face. "Keep your hands to yourself, or I'll have to separate you two," he warned, Luna rolling her eyes at the empty threat.

      She turned her attention back to Peter, snickering as his cheeks had turned a new shade of red. Glancing back to the front, she leaned forward to peck his lips once more, his lips curling into a cute smile immediately after. She was ready to return to her previous position, head resting on his chest and legs thrown over his lap, but was distracted as someone settled in the seat in front of them.

      "So, you guys are back together?" Flash shook his head. "Gross."

      "Go to hell, Eugene."

      "Meet you there, Giraldo."