38. Very Clearly In Love

— • —

— • —

"Are you mad at me?"

Luna rocked on her heels, hands clasped in front of her as she sucked her bottom lip into her mouth, anxious for his response. Peter, already anticipating her arrival, took his time piling his books into his locker before shutting it with a sigh. His eyes trailed over her features, her lips tugged down into a frown, dark circles surrounding her tired eyes, hair thrown into a messy braid against her shoulder. All he needed to do was take one look at her, and any feelings of resentment were fleeting. 

If he were to be honest with her, he was a little upset with the events of the last few days. He knew he had no right to get mad at Luna for keeping a secret to herself that could be damaging to both of them because he'd done that plenty of times, but he couldn't help but get angry at the way everything seemed to spiral out of control all at once. One minute he was finding out that Danielle knew his secret and Luna had reassured him that she had the only proof she had, the next Luna's mom was making direct eye contact with him as she slapped a photo down on his table of him in his suit without the mask on. She had promised that she wouldn't tell anybody before proceeding to talk to May about legal procedures, but that should have never been an issue to begin with. Had Luna just told him beforehand that Danielle knew and had made threats to share it, he would have kept an eye out for her. Instead, she was able to catch him off guard and possess life-ruining photos of him.

"Doesn't matter," Peter mumbled, arms grabbing onto Luna's shoulders and pulling her into him. "How's all the court stuff going?"

Typically Luna would allow him to change the subject, but it wasn't happening this time. She pulled away from his embrace instantly, her brows furrowed. "It does matter," she retorted. "It actually matters a lot, Peter."

He frowned. "It really doesn't."

Luna's lips formed a straight line, her arms crossing over her chest. "If you're trying to spare my feelings, then don't. You're allowed to be mad at me, Peter, I was mad at you just last month."

"Luna-"

"Peter, I need you to tell me you're mad at me," she emphasized. Peter watched with knitted brows as Luna released a shaky sigh, her eyes squeezing shut for a short moment. When they reopened, she gripped his wrist and led him down the hall until they were in front of the auditorium doors.  He opened his mouth to question her but stayed silent as she tugged him into the empty room. "Okay, go ahead."

Peter blinked. "Go ahead?"

Luna shot him an exasperated look. "Get mad at me; we're alone now, you don't have to hold back."

"Luna-"

"Wait, I'm not mentally prepared for you to yell at me. Lemme just-"

"Luna, I'm not gonna yell at you," Peter cut her off with a sigh, making Luna freeze in her place. He reached forward, intertwining their fingers before gently squeezing her hands. "I'm not going to lie, I was a little mad that you kept so much from me, but I can't blame you. I hurt you, and I was the last person you wanted to disclose any of that with, so I get it." She ducked her head down, and in an instant, Peter was dropping her head to cup her cheek. He lifted her head to lock eyes once more, his chest tightening at the look of guilt in her eyes.