39. The In

— • —

— • —

A FEW MONTHS LATER

Danielle Georgeson had her cold glare settled on Luna Giraldo, who stared back at her unbothered. The two teenage girls were on opposite sides of the room, one accompanied by guards, while the other was between her siblings and parent. Today they received the verdict about whether Danielle would be sentenced for her crimes, as they finished the homestretch for a trial that took entirely too long. 

It wasn't like it was a long few days in court, because realistically speaking, it was only one day. One, long, day with lots and lots of talking. But Luna had no clue that Danielle's mother was a lawyer, mostly because Danielle never spoke a single positive word about her, a lawyer who somehow got her own daughter's trial pushed back months. It was apparent she was buying herself time to build a case for her daughter, but it became clear that there wasn't much of that when Danielle had one testimony for her and Luna had four. So, it's safe to say the family was feeling pretty confident as they awaited the jurors. 

"Hey," Andrew whispered, nudging Luna gently with his elbow. She looked at him questioningly, her finger tugging at a loose thread in her dress pants. "What are you doing after this? You feeling crepes?"

Luna smiled sadly at her brother. "Sorry, promised to go visit dad with Peter. He wanted to combine meeting the boyfriend and filling him in on the trial all in one."

Peter Parker had managed to find a way to avoid meeting Luna's dad for a few months now, which she found wildly unfair due to the fact that she literally had May walk in on one of their first kisses. But he managed to find a way around that conversation as well. That is until today, where Luna knew he had no plans for the whole day considering he had to testify, so he had no fake excuse to feed her to avoid joining her for dinner. He was nervous, she couldn't blame him, but hey, she was nervous about having her mom and May meet, and what did Peter do? Nothing.

Andrew nodded understandingly. "Make sure to remind him to call Ma tonight, they need to talk about the divorce."

After almost thirty years married, the Giraldo parents were getting a divorce. Turns out the two had agreed to go their separate ways many years ago in secret but never filed for a divorce due to the outstanding price it costs. So according to the state of New York, they are still a married couple. But Andres Giraldo was engaged, and due to get married later that year, which he couldn't correctly do if he was still married. So Andres and Victoria came to an agreement to get a divorce, which couldn't be more inconvenient what with the price of a lawyer for the trial. But hey, with true love everything prevails, right?

As the thought passed, Luna glanced back to her friends a few pews back, seeing they were whispering among themselves. Mia seemed to be leading the conversation, while the other two contributed every few sentences. She was glad to see the three being close again, especially after the whole rut Mia was in for a majority of the year. She had diagnosed herself with a "super seriously extreme case of fomo" a few months back, identifying the cause as her two closest friends being occupied by their love lives and not her. An issue only Amelia Lancaster would have, honestly. Thankfully, it was easily fixable. Though it caused a lot of awkward moments to have Mia third wheel on some dates, it proved to be useful as she was back to her perky self not too long after.