25. Color Coordinating

— • —

— • —

      "So, you and Peter?"

      Luna didn't make her way home until late, Andrew having to come pick her up from Peter's apartment, only after she explained the situation. Or made up a situation that she could explain to him. She could tell Peter didn't want her to leave, still upset with the events of the night, leading her to promise they'd make their way to school together the following morning. As promised, she was at his apartment in the morning, greeting him with a warm smile and a kiss on the cheek.

      Peter would be lying if he said he wasn't happy to be around Luna again. He was still deeply upset about the loss of his suit, but like Luna always told him, there was a positive to every negative. And the positive was her. He got her back, completely. There was no alter ego there to burden him when he spent time with her, it was all Peter and Luna. Just like they liked it.

      Luna looked up to Liz as she spoke, pencil still tracing circles around her paper. "What about us?" It was only now that Luna realized the class was filled with chatter, the teacher lounging at the front, picking at her nails. Mia was turned in her seat, leaning on the double desk of Liz and Luna.

      Mia let out a scoff, causing Luna's eyebrows to raise. "Did you guys color coordinate for tonight?"

      Luna blanched. Tonight. Tonight was the Homecoming dance. So much had happened recently that the dance had slipped from her mind completely, and she was sure it had slipped from Peter's as well. The last thing she was thinking about while dealing with Danielle's threats and Peter's wellbeing was awkwardly slow dancing in her gymnasium while blushing viciously. It just didn't seem important.

      But now it was.

       Everything else was put on pause, all her troubles being pushed back. The homecoming dance was exactly the kind of night she needed to relax a little, to be pulled away from the harsh reality that was her life at the moment.

      She cleared her throat, smiling sheepishly. "We haven't... talked about it, actually."

      "What?" "Are you joking?"

      Luna chuckled nervously, the quiet laughing fading as she saw the serious look on both girl's faces. "Luna," Liz began, "you guys need to figure this out. I already asked Liz to be my date, and Mia got asked by that kid that's always in a military suit, you know who I mean?"

      Mia frowned. "His name is actually–"

      "Not important," Liz cut her off, shooting her a look. "Luna is the only one of us in an actual relationship and yet she's dateless. How does that make sense?"

       "It doesn't," Mia added. A smile slowly spread across her lips as she leaned forward, speaking once more. "You and Peter are like... you're the Troy and Gabriella of this dreary high school!"

      Luna instantly shook her head. "I see myself as more of a Sharpay and Peter's my Zeke," she paused when she realized Liz was glaring, "but whatever." She let out a sigh. "So what do I do? Ask him to ask me to homecoming? That's just pathetic."

       "He's going to ask you." All three girls turned to the voice, not at all surprised to see Michelle, her gaze focused on her book opposed to the three pairs of eyes. "I heard him talking about it with Ned."

       Liz clapped, "Well, that's settled. Time to find Peter now."

      And she did find Peter. In the middle of the hallway during fourth period. Luna slowed down as she approached her boyfriends, lips tilting into a slight smile. "You okay?" she asked when they stood in front of each other.

      "Yeah," he shrugged, "I've been worse."

      Luna's eyebrows knitted together. "You have?" He nodded. "When?"

      "Whenever you are." Her face fell and she instantly moved closer to the boy, wrapping her arms around his torso. Peter accepted her embrace, dropping his pass onto the floor before wrapping both his arms around the girl. "We have a lot going on, Luna."

      "I know," she muttered. "What are we gonna do about it?"

      "Nothing, not now," he sighed, fingers twirling the ends of her hair. "Can I ask you something?" She hummed in response. "When did you realize... you loved me?"

      Luna instantly lifted her head from his chest, lips parted in surprise, not at all expecting the question. But she didn't hesitate. "During the summer. You gave me this ring, and by then I had a hunch that my feelings were way past liking. But you... you came back a week later, and just held my hand. And you were just looking at the ring, and do you remember what you said after?"

      "I should have gotten you something better," he recited, hand going down to lift hers, finger trailing over the ring. "I still think that."

      Luna smiled softly. "But that was it. You always wanted to go the extra mile for me, but I never cared for materialistic things. I loved it because it was from you, I didn't want anything bigger or better."

      Peter's eyes darted between hers, the look in his eyes all too familiar to the girl. Pure admiration. It was a look he often wore when looking at the girl, lips quirking into a small smile while a blush dusted over his cheeks. A year ago, had you told him he'd be standing in the hall holding his girlfriend as she told him why she loved him, he probably would have choked. But now, he couldn't imagine them being any other way.

"Do you have a date for homecoming?" His smile slowly widened as amusement swam in his eyes, Luna letting out a snort.

"I don't. Do you?"

"I don't, actually. Wanna go together?"

"Oh, I dunno. I mean, Flash asked me and I've been seriously considering it." All of five seconds passed before the two bursted into laughter, happiness practically radiating off the two. Luna grinned up at her boyfriend as their laughter died down. "I'd love to go to homecoming with you, Peter."

        His smile widened. "Great. So I'll see you later?"

        Leaning up, she placed a chaste kiss on his lips before separating from him completely. "See you later, Peter." Shooting him one last smile, she walked away, an overwhelming rush of happiness coming over her. Things may actually be looking up for once.

— • —

LMAO @ THAT LAST LINE