"Threat"

Digong’s POV

Panacañang Palace, Davao City

Before we left Palawan, I gave strict orders on ensuring Jesse’s safety all the time. While the people of the island bid him good bye, I instructed the staff to treat everything about the man with strict confidentiality or face uncertainty. We rode the chopper to the Malacanang of the South in Panacan, where I arranged his lodging in one of the private rooms. When we arrived, we were welcomed only by security. I gave two of my best securities to him and led him to his room where he will be cleaned and fixed by security also.

“Mayor,” It was Bong.

“Yeah?”

May classified folder po na dumating sa akin kaninang umaga.”

“Let me see it.”

We sat by the nearest chairs and slowly opened the file. An eye symbol was printed in the right top most corner. I looked at Bong, he nodded.

We read the message through the method that was taught to us. I looked at it in disbelief.
“Are we late?”

“We are 5 steps ahead sir. But we were 10 steps ahead last time,”

“Ah. Let us ensure all remedies are performed.” I handed him the file.

“Yes Mayor,” Bong replied as he left.

I worried a bit that we may not be able to track the dates due to the changes that happened. Ever since we’ve had that threat, I’ve always made sure that we are 10 steps ahead of the foreseen events.

“Remedies on what?” Jesse’s voice suddenly came. I looked at him.

He definitely looked better compared to the first time I saw him. His body is still thin but his face cleaner and clearer. I asked him to wear sunglasses since looking at his eyes will give away his position.

“On threats,” I say.

“Against you?” I ushered him to sit in front of me. “Water, juice, coffee, tea – we have a variety. We have – “ I stopped as he looked at me and smiled knowingly. I felt my cheeks blush red.

“You know, some foreign guests like different types of tea,” I reasoned out, lying a bit. He laughed. “Coffee nalang Mayor.” I asked the security to give him a cup.

“Can you disclose it? Ok lang naman if hindi.”

“Well, I will not disclose all of it. But yeah, it’s a heads up letter from a special task force for national security. It’s about Leni actually.”

“What about her?” His face is suddenly serious.

“There is a threat against her.”

He just blinked.

“We make sure we are 10 steps ahead but now we are only 5. I just asked Bong to ensure that all remedies are performed so that we can be back to 10.”

“May I ask what will happen to Leni?” His voice quivered.

I sighed heavily. “Unfortunately I cannot answer. Sorry pare. Don’t worry, she’s in good hands.”

“Yeah but –“ He tried to argue then stopped. “What can I do?”

“I’ve been looking for positions under DILG,”

He suddenly laughed hard.

Bakit?” I asked him.

Dun nanaman? I died there.”

“Not under my watch.” I assured him. “Undersecretary positon, ok na siguro un.”

Ikaw na bahala sa akin, Mr. President. Basta, I want to help.”

I felt like he is already uncomfortable because of the threat to his wife. “I’m sorry Jesse if it bothered you.”

“No no no, thank you actually. I’ll keep tabs on her, for my own sanity – if there is still anything left.” I smiled at him.

“Of course. Appointment papers will be ready tomorrow. I will introduce you to Ed. Welcome back to the government –

Mr. Moises Espinosa.”

--