"Double cross"

--

Jesse PoV

Panacanang, Davao City

As my campaign managers predicted, that row with the President did attract talks from all sides. Some people from the leadership of different political and civic groups started talking to me. I kept my lines open - I may obtain important information from these people.

"Sec Moises," It was Jun Evasco.

"Jun, anong maipaglilingkod ko?" He casually sat beside me, smiling.

"Can we talk leisurely?" I looked at him and we laugh. 

"I'm sorry you have to work doubly hard campaigning for me," I tell him. He shook his head.

"No, it's not about the campaign."

"About Digong?"

He nodded.

"What about?"

"How are you two? Nakapag-usap na kayo?"

"I called him once a few days ago. Nakapag-usap naman."

"Ok naman siya? Di naman galit?"

"He sounded calm. I hope he isn't angry because to be honest, I am not angry or what - I just did what is planned - though my emotions must have betrayed me at times and reason did left me a couple of times," I tell him and he laughed. 

"I know he still trusts you. Aside from his concern about Leni, di naman niya ako tinatanong about your campaign. He's actually glad you're doing well everyday."

"I am doing what I can. I will fulfill my promise to do my best. I will honor our words to each other - alam mo Jun, oo, si Leni ang nagpapa-kumplika ng lahat pero parehas naman kami nang pinagttrabahuhan ni Digong e, mas mananaig yun." I felt a little doubt in my words.

Jun just looked at me. 

"The mayor told me to trust you the way he trusts you. Let us pull this one off, Sec." He extended his hand. I shook it.

"Kaya natin 'to."

--

Manila Private House, BGC Taguig

The next few days I met discreetly with people from the "other sides" - opposition, far left, far right, church leaders, businessmen and others who are interested in what I have to say. One time I was invited by someone 'independent" of political parties and asked me if I may be interested to run under her ticket. 

"You speak well, Mr. Espinosa and the President speaks highly of you," 

"Thank you, Ma'am."

"Baka lang interesado ka to run under my ticket?"

I smiled at her. "Under your ticket? Tatakbo ka ulit?"

"I plan to."

"Para kanino naman yan this time, Grace?"

She looked at me for a while then smiled. 

"Para sa taong bayan,"

I laughed.

"I will give you a good fight." I tell her. 

It is her turn to laugh. "Moises, ang lakas ng loob mo, bilib ako. Totoo. Well, if ayaw mo, ok lang naman but may the best of us win."

"Despite your loss in this position the last time, I'm also impressed by your grit, Ma'am Senator. You must be fighting for a great cause."

She smirked at me. "Same to you, Mr. Espinosa and with the President's endorsement, no less."