"Apo"

Third Party POV

Cagayancillo Islands, Palawan

This is my first time to visit the group of islands in Palawan. The local heads and myself will discuss on how we can improve transportation across Palawan.

30 minutes into the discussion, someone from the crowd of leaders suddenly blurted out, "Mam, have you met our Apo?"

The first person I thought was the late president FEM. I shivered for a second and forced a laugh. "No. Who is he?"

He smiled widely and the officials stood up and started to lead the way.

We reached a big hut near the shores. I don't know what to feel but I noticed people around me are happy that "finally" someone from the government, they say, will get to see the man.

Only 3 people were allowed to go inside aside from Apo - the island chieftain, myself and one security who stood by the door. I waited a bit while the man was being briefed by my arrival.

"Sige, mam, pasok daw po kayo."

I entered his room, a small space which is mostly his bed. His back is propped against the wall, his eyes closed. I sat by his feet and looked at him.

He opened his eyes.

We looked at each other for a while and something dawned on me. This could not be, I thought. Little did I know, I was tearing up, shocked in disbelief. He smiled.

"Sec," he murmured.

"Why are you here?" My voice cracked, as I tried to hold back my tears and fears.

"I am dead," he quipped, his eyes not blinking as I shiver.

"It's been 6 years."

"Is it?"

"H-how are you sir?" I asked as I broke down. He let out a small laugh.

"They made me a god here."

I forced a laugh. "How convenient," I reply.

"I am good, but dead, as I said,"

"No plans of going back to life?" I ask as I wipe away my tears.

"What for? I am already a hero."

I laughed loudly. "You are a great man, no doubt. I see your point. There is no point going back." I reply, as I look at him.

His polo shirt is already yellow, parts of which have dried blood stains. He is wearing black slacks and black socks and an old watch that is not working anymore.

"Do you change clothes?"

He laughed at my random question. "They clean me and these clothes, but I insist on always wearing them."

"To remind you of who you are?"

"No. Because this is me that last time I remember."

"Do you still know your wife?"

"Yes, of course."

"She is -"

"I know," he cut me. I realized that people here don't really know who he is.

"I see her on tv."

"You watch tv?"

"Of course. How is Rody?"

"With your wife?"

He laughed loudly. "Gaga ka."

"Alam mo?!"

"Halata naman." He smiled earnestly.

"No hard feelings?"

"Pakisabi kay Rody, upakan ko siya kapag nagkita kami."

"Noted po."

"And tell Leni,

I'll always love her."

--

If Mayors Ruled The World [Duterte - Robredo]On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara