"What If"

Third Party POV

Matina Enclaves, Davao City

A cabinet meeting was called for here at Davao so I flew from Palawan to Manila to Davao to try to catch up. My mind was wandering most of the time and I felt anxious because of what I just found out. I called my psychiatrist and told her everything (except the man’s identity) and asked if I am still sane. She told me I’m fine but she needed to see me when I go back in Manila.

After the meeting, I thought I can fly back home, but I was called by Bong to join their private meeting. I wondered why because I do not have any agenda with the President. I started thinking about what happened in Palawan and got nervous that he may already know.

When I entered the room, as expected only his closest allies were there – Jun, Sonny, Bingbong, Delfin, Ed and Jess. The President stood up and shook my hands and lead me to my seat.

“How are you mam?”

Wala po akong kasalanan,” I blurted out and everyone laughed. The President smiled.

“It’s been a while since we last saw each other.”

“Sorry mayor, I’ve been from far and wide,”

“Sure. That is why I called for you. Nangangamusta lang.”

Ed noticed that I looked uneasy despite the laughter. “Ok ka lang?”

“Can I ask a question?” I said.

“Sure,” The President replied.

“What if someone you know is dead is actually alive?”

Everyone just looked at me.

“I mean, for example, Ninoy. What if he is still alive? Alive at Tarlac, as a farmer?”

The President laughed, “That heroic man? A farmer? Ha. Ha.”

“Why did you ask? You did not see Ninoy in Palawan naman siguro no?” Bingbong asked.

“No, not Ninoy. Someone else.”

“Who?” Jun asked.

“Robredo.”

The group was quite for around 3 minutes.

The President cleared his throat. “How is he?”

“He’s good. You should see him.”

“How sure are you na siya yun, Sec?” Sonny asked.

“I looked into his eyes. He lost almost all his weight. But his eyes were clear.” I sighed. “I called my psychiatrist to seek help but you called for me in this meeting so I can only tell you what I saw,” I confessed.

“Did you talk?”

“Yes, Mayor.”

“What did he say?”

“He said na upakan ka daw niya kapag nagkita kayo.

The room roared with laughter. The President smiled weakly, “Gagi ka,”

“I can take you to him if you want to see him.”

“Can’t he come here at Davao?”

“He is a god in his place. You come to him.”

The group looked at the President. “Sir,” Del started.

“I trust Mia. Sige,” He faced Bong. “Get me a chopper.”

“Let’s fly to Palawan.”

--