"Offer"

Third Party POV

Cagayancillo Islands, Palawan

The President, myself and Bong arrived at Palawan and people could not have been more surprised. They immediately arranged a tour for us which included, of course, a visit to their “Apo.”

“Apo will be very pleased to meet you Mr. President. You’ll be the first ever,” The island chieftain said excitedly. He lead the way.

When we arrived, we were ushered inside his small space. Bong and I stood at the sidelines while the President slowly sat by Apo’s feet.

“Apo,” The President whispered. The Apo slowly opened his eyes.

I saw Bong’s eyes bulge.

“Mr. President,” he extended his hand.

“Sir,” The President held with both hands his hand and kissed it. The Apo chuckled.

“How are you Rody?”

Ok naman. Ikaw?”

Eto patay, pero buhay.”

The President smiled. “What does it feel like?”

“Nothing. It’s been like this for 6 years. People here feed and clean me, same routine for as long as I can remember. Ikaw, how’s Malacañan?”

“Worse.” The two men laughed.

“How’s Leni?” The Apo asked.

I smiled. The President looked at me and smiled. “Ok naman siya..Jess, kung ano mang nakwento sa’yo..” his voice trailed off. Apo laughed.

Wala siyang kinuwento.”

Bong smiled widely.

Wala yun, kilala mo naman ako Jess,” The President shyly said, scratching his nape.

Oo, kilala kita Rody,” Apo offered and we laughed softly. His eyes were twinkling.

“Do you want to see her?” The President offered.

Di pa ako handa,”

And neither is he, I thought as I looked at the President.

“Are you sick? I can cure you, I’ll bring you to Davao.”

“I don’t know what and to what extent if I am sick. Thank you for the offer but people here will not easily let me go.”

“I’ll talk to them.” The President slowly stood up. Apo tapped his hand.

Teka lang Rody.” Apo asked him to sit back then he faced me. “Sec, puwede bang makapag-usap kami? I’ll see you again soon. Thank you for bringing The President here.”

“Take one chopper and tell them to take you wherever you want. Salamat Mia,” The President added.

I knew that they’ll talk something important that it is not my business anymore. I excused myself and left.

I walked towards the chopper as they start the engine.

Saan po tayo mam?” The officer asked.

“Naga.”

--