"Dark Horses"

Jesse's POV

Panacañang, Davao City

I lie awake on my bed. For some reason, I felt like I was not the Jesse that I was before that plane crash. Everything felt different. Rody was nice enough to accommodate me, offering everything, even things I don't need. I try to find in my heart what is wrong with me when I heard voices and footsteps outside my room.

I walked towards the door. I heard soft voices.

"Wala si Mayor?"

"Wala po Ma'am, wag po tayo dito, dun nalang po tayo,"

"Andito siya sa kuwarto na ito no?" I heard my knob turn. Good thing I locked it as instructed.

"Ma'am, wala nga po si Mayor dito ngayon," came a stern voice.

"Sinong babae ang kasama niya ngayon?" I heard the knob turn again.

"Ma'am!"

I looked at the small peep hole in my door. I saw a woman in her 40s maybe, good looking and seems familiar. The guards assigned to watch my room assisted her out of the hallway and they were replaced by another set of guards.

I'm sure the Mayor she is talking about is the President. I chuckled. I lie back on my bed and tried to sleep.

--

I wake up in the middle of a light sleep. I told my security I'll just get some water. They allowed me to go on my own to the kitchen. To my surprise, the lady I saw earlier was sitting in one of the chairs in the dining table, resting her head over her arms. How long have I been asleep?

"Miss?" I lightly tapped her shoulder.

No movement.

I got some water and softly dragged a chair beside her. I tapped her shoulder again.

"Miss?"

She slowly moved and lifted her head. She blinked at me.

"Who are you?"

I was wearing my sun glasses. Strict orders.

"Moises Espinosa, hello." I offered my hand.

She smiled weakly. "Angel Matba."

"Why are you here?" I asked her.

"I'm waiting for the President."

"Will he come?"

"I don't know. But I'll wait. He promised that he'll talk to me today."

I heard earlier that the President will not be back until tomorrow.

"Why don't you send him a message and ask?"

"Ayoko, si Bong naman magbabasa ng message ko hindi siya."

I laughed. "Well, kesa naman you're waiting in vain here,"

She forced a laugh. "I've always waited for him. In vain. Hanggang ngayon."

I looked at her. She seems familiar but I don't want to ask. She looks fierce but her eyes are gray and sad.

"Are you the President's girlfriend?"

She looked at me and laughed. And boy, she laughed loudly. "Girlfriend? No. We're through."

"Ah, so ex pala. Are you drunk? Or should we drink?"

She smiled. "Thank you. You're kind. But no thanks, I'm fine. I just seem sober."

"You are sober. Nag-away ba kayo or what?"