"Left Turns"

Digong's POV

Undiclosed location

What happened next was chaos. I was shoved out of the venue as people started blocking all the entrance and exit points. I saw Moises carry Leni down the hall while he was surrounded by a sizeful of PSGs covering them. They rode the black van behind the helicopter as planned. The helicopter flew on its own as the black van passed by us.

"Is Leni ok?" I asked as calmly as I can.

"Yes sir, she's bleeding on the side but not crucial." say the voice on the other line. It was my medic who I offered for her to use.

"Good. Take her to the hospital. Si Moises?"

"Sir,"

"Yes?"

"Wala po si Sec dito."

--

"Asan ka?" I managed to get Moises through the line.

"Ikaw asan ka?" It was Moises.

"Ha? Andito ako sa -, secured na ako. Ikaw? Di mo daw kasama si Sparrow?"

"Yeah, but don't worry she is safe."

"Yes, but you?"

"Don't worry about me Digong."

"Jesse,"

"Pre, if I die again,"

"Putangina mo,"

He laughed.

"Alagaan mo narin ang mga anak ko,"

"Gago, hinahanap ka na ng mga tao ko,"

"I'm still here. I have to find that pawn."

"That is not in our plan, halika na."

"No."

I sighed hard. I promised myself that no one will die in this operation. "Jesse,"

I hear heavy breathing on the other line. "Hmm?"

"Mahal ka ni Leni, tangina naman."

He laughed. "Mahal ko rin siya. Walang nagbago. Walang magbabago."

"Kaya nga! Pumunta ka na dito, gago ka para makita ka na ng misis mo."

"Digong, bababa ko na ito. Baka marinig ako -"

"Jesse! -"

He hang up.

"Sir we located Sec Moises,"

"Where the hell is he?"

"Back at the church."

--

Jesse's POV

Calaruega Church, Batangas City

After I ensured that Leni's in safe hands, I walked back to the deserted church. Everything was quiet as police followed a van who they say carried the suspect. I went to the altar to check the area where Leni fell down on her knees when she was shot. I heard footsteps. I ran towards the side of a church pillar.

"Akala ko ba ready sila?" Said a voice.

"Well, si Digong sana yung tatamaan, so they were careful. For some reason, pinagpalit nila ung partner ni Digong at ni Robredo. Dapat silang dalawa magkasama e."

"Hah! Di rin asintado yung kinuha mo ah, bakit sa tagiliran lang tinamaan si Leni?"

I want to look at their faces but I'm afraid that they're looking at my direction. I slowly peeked to check.

To my surprise, the two men looked familiar.

Painfully familiar.

--

They continued to talk. I try to think things through. Should I shoot this two from my place, I contemplated as I put fresh bullets into my .45 caliber gun.

I don't know their role but the way their conversation is going is it seems they know the operation the killer/s carried out. I peeked again.

"Sino ba ung Moises Espinosa?"

"Usec sa DILG."

"I mean, sino ba siya? To be invited in this wedding?"

"Ah. Di ko alam e. He's new."

"When Leni was shot, he was quick and agile. There was no sign of panic in his face. Could he have anticipated this?"

"Malamang, naghanda yang mga yan. Ang tanong, sa lahat ng tao bakit siya pa?"

One of the men paced back and forth, offering no answer to the question.

"Ayoko talaga sa mga Robredo," the man suddenly said, I aimed my .45 at him, my face heating up.

"Eyes on the prize comrade, just like before -"

Bang!

I barely saw the two men duck for cover and shout. My eyes were blinded by anger that before I can move towards them I heard shots fired in my direction. I ran for cover, hearing men shout and scramble on their feet. I took a deep breath and fired at their direction again and heard them shouting and cursing. I felt my phone vibrating in my pocket and there's only one person who can call me. I felt my face again. I heard voices.

"Akala ko ba secured na ang perimeter?" one of the men shouted.

"Sir, secured na ito kanina," another man replied

"Andito pa ata siya. Aalis na kami. Bring me that person's body alive."

"Yes chief."

I waited 'till all voices were gone when I started to move.

Then I saw two eyes, looking at me directly. I almost shouted.

I didn't move. The eyes moved closer, not making a sound.

It's a dog. I blinked.

He was not barking, just looking at me. Is he blind, I thought, but still didn't move. We looked at each other for a while.

"Apollo!" A voice suddenly roared.

The dog sat in front of me despite the call and stared at me. The voice called his name again and that was the only time he stood up, gave me one last look before he barked his way to the voice.

I knew that dog - he is a security detail of a man I used to work with.

Why the hell was he here?

--