"The Heart in the Midst"

--

Leni PoV

Naga City, Camarines Sur

I am confused.

The latest tirade of the President against Sec. Espinosa confused me. The last time I talked to the President, he told me that Sec. Espinosa is a "piece in the puzzle that is very important to him". Now, he is getting back at the Secretary when he said to him to spare me from revolutionary talks.

Their banter is unusual to say the least. The President still endorses him but will always qualify in the end that he should not meddle with the idea of him declaring a revolutionary government. The Secretary in turn would always thank the President for his endorsement but will retort back that ranges from the polite (I'm just answering media questions,) to the sarcastic (Once I will be President,). If this is a strategy they are doing to be talked about, it certainly works because it's been a week since they're the face of the news.

When the President told me he'll tell me everything when he went here, I believed him. He did tell me a lot of things - he personally doesn't want to head the transition team that will lead to a new government and he would give chance to others through a free elections; he is, in his own words, perpetually on the lookout for "people who want to bring this government down in any way they want" and that Secretary Espinosa is a man he trusts - he believes he is capable and a man who, he thinks, granted that he runs and wins, may replace him in heading the country.

He also told me that he's also closely looking after me because he "promised some people that he will take care of me and my family to the hilt." He even apologized for all the inconveniences he caused me and my girls but he stresses that it is necessary. He said that he won't stop me from expressing my beliefs, even though most of which are dissent. I thanked him. He told me that we can always talk about it if we have time to meet.

"You just call me when you need me," I tell him sincerely as I look at him, hold his hand and massage it.

"Of course. Just always take care of yourself," He replied as he kissed my forehead.

He left afterwards.

I was also confused after he left. I try to understand where the confusion comes from but it seems that the confusion I felt after that night still lingers until today. For some reason, I wanted to reach out to Sec. Espinosa but I do not know how. He will be in Naga today for his pre-campaign "getting to know" and his team invited me to meet with him.

The butterflies in my stomach made its presence felt again.

--

Villa Caceres, Naga City

"Ma'am Vice," a smiling Secretary greeted me. I smiled back and shook his hand.

"Sec, long time no see." He suddenly bowed down and gave me a peck on the cheek. I noticed the security around us smile and look down.

"How are you?" He asked me. The last time we saw each other we were in a church and it felt like a long time ago.

"I'm good sir, and you?"

"Always better whenever I see you," His eyes twinkled. I felt warm heat spread across my face. I smiled to him and led him inside one of the business rooms in Villa Caceres.

We started talking about his plans, his experience so far, his adjustments and frustrations. He brought up the topic about the President.

"Alam ko, magulo talaga siya. He is that kind of a politician, works in smokescreen almost all the time. His life is an open book but you do not know if it is fiction or non-fiction," He joked and I nodded and laughed.