4 ~ Month Two: September

"You!" Ashley exclaims, pointing a perfectly manicured finger at me. "Hold her up higher!" She orders and I grimace to myself, attempting to hoist the cheerleader higher. "Perfect!" Ashley claps her hands together.

The weather is surprisingly hot for a September day and as a result we are practicing cheer outside, the football team being restricted to the other side of the field.

"Okay. This needs to be perfect for Friday's pep rally!" Ashley yells as I struggle to hold Chelsea above me. "Keep holding her there!"

This girl might look skin and bones but she's damn heavy. Or maybe I'm just super weak.

Yeah, that's definitely it.

You can do this Savannah! There's only two years left until you're out of here.

Shit.

That's two years to save up enough to go to college.

If only I could get a scholarship. That would make things so much easier. But there is no way that's going to happen with me struggling to complete homework, struggling to maintain my grades and standing at the bottom of a cheerleading pyramid.

Yeah. This is fucking great. Remind me why I do this again...

This is even more unbearable without Zara with me. Unfortunately Zara decided she wanted to take another art class this year, taking the place of the extra-curricular cheerleading that we so loved to do together.

Now I'm alone, in a sea of Ashley's. Or wannabe Ashley's anyway.

"Now Kate I need you to stand back here." I zone back into Ashley's conversation as she gestures at the redhead in the front row. What is she doing? Kate is one of the best dancers and she's putting her behind me.

I watch as Kate reluctantly turns towards me, a forlorn expression on her face as she slowly walks over.

"Why are you putting her there?" I blurt out, an uncontrollable word vomit that I instantly regret.

"What?" Ashley narrows her eyes at me.

"Nothing... I said nothing." I quickly correct but she stalks towards me, her eyes narrowed.

"No." she crosses her arms, "Please enlighten us." I notice that the entire cheerleading squad is staring at me with wide eyes as we slowly lower Chelsea to the ground.

Good one Savannah.

You'll be lucky if you aren't kicked off the team right now!

Chelsea shoots a smirk in my direction as she stands next to Ashley, crossing her arms as she watches the Queen Bee attack.

She's staring at you Savannah... Say something...

"I just don't know why you are putting Kate behind everyone. She's great." I manage and Ashley grimaces.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were the captain." She snaps, looking down at me. Ashley is as tall as the Victoria Secret models. I can almost see her strutting down the runway, looking down on everyone as she throws her bleached blonde hair behind her shoulders.

"I didn't mean that." I respond, my voice steady as she smirks.

"No really. I don't even know your name." She scoffs, "Shut up."

"Ash!" We both avert our gaze to the other side of the field to see Brett jogging over, the cheerleaders instantly erupting into small whispers as I grit my teeth. Ashley immediately smiles, bouncing over towards him without another thought towards my disobedience.