25~ July

I pull up beside the cabin, quickly cutting the engine and stepping out of the car, shivering as I look around. The surrounding trees rustle in the night air, the darkness eerie, the air cold, and I quickly rush to the steps, jumping up and throwing myself through the door as fast as possible.  The room is silent, lit up only by the fire burning in the corner.

"Brett?" I whisper.

"You came." His voice comes from the right and I jump slightly, glancing over towards the kitchen doorway.

"I really don't know why." I retort, confused at my own actions. His white shirt suits him, a pair of black jeans covering his legs, looking smart and formal, making him all the more alluring.

"I do." Brett smiles back and I nod in realization. Of course. The bribe. How could I forget? I came for the cake.

"The cake?" I ask, nodding in understanding.

"That... and me." He winks and I roll my eyes. That's not true.

"Get over yourself." I fold my arms across my chest, "Where's the cake?" He nods his head over towards the kitchen and I start towards it, watching out of the corner of my eye as he follows. Entering the room my eyes immediately fall on the 'Congratulations' cake on the center of the table, two forks beside it. Without hesitation I pick one up and dive in. It's his graduation cake, but it's one in the morning and he dragged me here. I'm eating it.

"You didn't go to the graduation?" He asks.

"I had no-one to celebrate." I shrug, before taking another forkful of the gorgeous cake.

"Ouch."

"What?" I exclaim, "We aren't friends. We aren't dating..."

"I thought we were friends."

"Sorry to burst your bubble." I sing, before shoving another forkful in.

"Come on Sav." He tries, picking up his own fork. "You like me."

"You're okay." I admit, scrunching my nose up. "Half the time." I look back down at the cake. "Did you have fun today?"

"It was alright. My parents came."

"They did?" I am startled as I look up at his emotionless expression.

"Yeah, they turned up two minutes before it started. Then they took me out to dinner."

"Wow."

"Yeah." He mutters, twirling the fork in his hand.

"Was dinner good?"

"Always about the food aren't you Hurst?" He asks, an amused smile on his face.

"Yeah?" I answer bluntly. Who isn't about food? It is literally the best thing about life.

"It was alright. They took me to Andriano's across town." He replies, shrugging.

"Jesus!" I choke on my cake. Andriano's is without a doubt the most expensive place within fifty miles. Elle and I once went in for her birthday and they charged us ten dollars for tap water. We left after looking at the menu, both of us nearly having had a heart attack at the sixty three dollar steak.

"It was nice, and I'm grateful they came. But sometimes I'd just prefer a pizza, or a burger, or fajitas." He explains, "Not small portions of pretentious crap."

"I agree." I nod, "Not that I've ever eaten the pretentious crap."

"Don't bother." He warns, "I'm still hungry. Can I?" He gestures to the cake.

"You can have a few mouthfuls." I scoff.

"Gee thanks." He mutters, before digging the fork into his cake.