97 ~ May

"Get out of my way!" I scream, shoving at the crowds of people as I throw myself towards the building. They don't seem to want to move, just watching the building burn, none of them helping, all of them watching as I scream like a madman. They don't ask me what's wrong, they don't seem to care that my entire life is in that building.

And I don't mean my belongings.

As I push through the last line of people I break into a run towards the door, desperate to get to the apartment. It is at this point that I hear people react, screaming to stop the girl who's about to enter the fire. I manage to dodge the only guy who's close to me, grabbing onto the handle of the door and yanking it open, flying into the entrance way.

I'm instantly hit by a small flurry of smoke, quickly covering my face with my arm, hoping that the fabric will help. I need to be quick, only a few minutes before I know I should get back outside.

"Brett?" I scream up the staircase, hearing nothing but the faint roaring sound of a hissing fire in response. My heart is racing faster than I ever knew was possible, nausea swimming around inside me from the immense fear that I'm feeling. "Brett!" I try once more, my voice strained and muffled against the fabric.

A sudden commotion from outside distracts me and I look back at the entrance to see that a couple of the guys from the crowd are heading in, their eyes trained on me.

They're going to drag me out of here, kicking and screaming, without Brett. I can't let that happen, I need to find him!

My chest is contracting painfully at the thought of him trapped up there. Looking back up the stairwell I can see the faint orange glow, a telltale sign that it's spreading, my mind only imagining how quickly it's eaten through Becky's beloved luxurious Gucci bedspread.

Snapping my head back towards the doorway I watch as the guys yank the door open, their eyes still pinned on me, attempting their rescue mission.

It's a shame I have a different rescue mission in mind.

With one quick glance back at the stairway I shoot up it, taking the steps two at a time, Brett the only thing on my mind. I hear the guys shouting behind me, yelling for me to stop but I ignore them as I fly up towards the glow.

Glancing back I am relieved to see that they have slowed, hesitating at the bottom as they watch me climb up, arm still over my face.

The heat or the panic begins to make me sweat, it's impossible to tell which is the deciding factor as I scrunch up my eyes, the smoke beginning to make them itch as I head toward the midst of the fire.

Reaching the top floor I turn towards my apartment to see the front door wide open, smoke making it impossible to make anything out other than the flames that are eating their way closer to the entrance of the apartment.

Battling my way towards it as quick as I can I begin to cough, the sleeve of my top getting more and more useless against the billowing fumes. Just before I reach the front door I spot a silhouette, slouched on the floor beside the open door.

Throwing myself down onto the ground I nearly scream in horror at the sight of the guy I love, unconscious and helpless on the floor.

A sudden smash sounds out from within the apartment and I glance back up, the approaching flames shooting me back to reality. Jumping back up I grab onto Brett's limp arm before attempting to pull him out of the apartment.

Using all my strength to try and drag him, there is nothing covering my exposed mouth, and I can finally taste the smoke on my tongue as it edges its way into my lungs. I need to move, and fast!