23 ~ Month Eight: July

The crowd is more alive than ever before. The buzz that comes from knowing that this is the legendary football captain's last game has dragged everyone into the bleachers, even those who never normally attend a game. The opposing team are a school three towns over, their reputation nothing compared to the mighty Edgewater High. 

Ashley decided to attempt some of her more 'advanced' cheerleading routines and I therefore found myself sitting in the bleachers with Zara and Georgia, foam fingers firmly rooted on our hands, our arms up in the air with the rest of the school as Brett scores yet another touchdown.

"We're going to the party after yeah?" Georgia grins.

"Of course." Zara exclaims, clapping her hands together.

"I'm not sure I will, I have loads of..."

"Come on Sav!" Zara cuts me off, grabbing hold of my hand.

"It'll be fun." Georgia agrees, nudging my shoulder.

"I know but there's so much I need to do..."

"Do it tomorrow." Georgia pleads, "Enjoy yourself."

"Not that going home and doing work isn't fun." Zara quickly interjects, "But it would be great if you came with us."

"Fine." I give in.

"Yes!"

"Amazing." Zara giggles and I shake my head at her.

"They've won!" Becky suddenly interrupts, appearing in her cheerleading uniform from down on the field.

"They have?" Zara and I chime together, looking down onto the field. The final buzzer has just sounded, crowds from the school descending onto the pitch to celebrate with the players.

"Yeah!" Becky grins. I watch as the jocks rally around each other, slapping each other on the backs in celebration, Brett, Ben, Chris and Ellis in the middle, laughing with each other.

It's a happy sight and I find myself smiling widely as the guys lift their Captain up onto their shoulders, parading him around one last time. Brett raises his fist in the air as the students cheer, grinning widely as the school cheers his name. 

I can think what I like about Brett, but this is his last game, his last time as the Captain, and he is a damn good player. His legacy will live on once he leaves, his boots too big for anyone to fill. I don't envy the person who is going to take up Captain next.

Brett's eyes glance over the stands, cheering loudly as he encourages the students to join in. The atmosphere is contagious, everyone around me jumping in excitement as Becky grabs hold of me. The echoing chants of 'Winters' fill the entire stadium and soon everyone is cheering, my friends included.

Looking down at Brett's proud expression as he stares up at the stands I smile, not able to stop myself before I open my mouth and join in.

*~*~*

"I'm heading straight for the drinks." I announce the second we step through the door.

"I'll join you." Becky agrees, linking her arm with mine. We leave Zara and Georgia, walking into the kitchen, Becky diving for the bottles of spirit and grabbing some cups, pouring us a delightful combination. She hands one over and I thank her before she takes a sip of her own.

"This is so strong."

"Good." I mutter and she smirks.

"Is that my beautiful prom date?" Ben exclaims from behind me and I whirl around, shooting him a grin.

"Ben."

"Hey there." He smiles back. "Becky."

"Hey." She grins, taking another drink.