24 ~ July

Graduation Day.

That means one more year until I graduate and get out of this high school, but also one more year to save for college. It's not looking good at the moment.

But it also means Brett is leaving the school. Will next year be different without him here? Will the cafeteria mourn the loss of their most popular football players?

All I know for sure is that I am not going to the school to celebrate with them. Instead, Becky suggested we all go to the mall and treat ourselves to some food, which is how I found myself wolfing down fries in the food court at an alarming rate as Georgia watches, her eyes wide.

"I wish Ashley was in the year above." Zara muses, picking at her brownie. "Imagine a year without her."

"That would be amazing." Becky agrees.

"How will she cope without Brett?" Georgia scoffs.

"She'll love it now that they've split up." Becky chuckles, "She can move on, date the next football captain."

"I wonder who that will be. Maybe Dean?" Georgia ponders, picking up her fork.

"I bet." Zara snorts, giggling.

"I'm glad we'll have a new captain." I pipe up, "It's about time."

"We know how you feel about Brett Sav." Georgia retorts, before delicately placing a piece of pie into her mouth.

"I feel nothing." I defend, slouching further down in my seat.

"Sav..."

"We had something, I don't know what... but he's a dick and it's over." I snap, cutting Zara off. "Not that there was anything to be over anyway." I sarcastically chuckle. My friends shoot me a sympathetic look and I grimace, rolling my eyes. I don't need their pity, I made a mistake and now I'll move on.

Over the last week I've ignored Brett's countless calls and texts. I saw him getting close with Kate in that bedroom and I'm not stupid, I know full well what he would have done if I hadn't walked in. He wasn't looking for me, he wasn't thinking about me. Him ending things with Ashley has changed nothing, and I'm fed up of my thoughts rotating around the idea of Devil Winters all day long.

"I'm finished." I exclaim, throwing the fry back in the basket.

"Should we go back to mine?" Becky asks.

"Good idea." Zara smiles, and we all get up, making our way to the exit. I know that I have ruined the mood. I've ruined everyone's day with my tiny outburst. Selfish as always.

"I'm sorry."

"You have nothing to apologize for." Becky mutters, lightly shoving my shoulder playfully as the others pile into Georgia's car.

"Get in, I don't have all day!" Georgia yells. Becky rolls her eyes, sliding into the back of her car.

"Are you sure you're okay Sav?"

"Yeah."

"But are you really?" Georgia presses, glancing at me in the rear-view mirror.

"Yes Georgia." I insist, "I'm fine."

"What do you girls want to do at mine?" Becky exclaims, changing the subject.

"I don't want to go in the pool!" Georgia groans, "I spent two hours on my hair today."

"Okay then." Becky accepts, smiling slightly.

"A movie day?" I offer and Zara grins.

"I love it." Becky agrees, wrapping her arm around my shoulder.