71 ~ September

"Well?" Elena asks, her hand gripping mine as we sit in the Doctors office three days later. The Doctor takes a seat across from us, clipboard in hand.

Elena had cried all night, not even her beloved Twilight able to distract her. Polly and Louise had figured out something was wrong, leaving Elena numerous notes around the house detailing their love for her. I hadn't seen Brett, instead making sure I spent all hours of the day with Elena. She needed me more than him.

Elena's clutch on my hand tightens as the Doctor sighs, sitting back in her chair. This is it, the answer we've been waiting for all week.

"The blood tests have come back negative." The Doctor announces.

"Negative?"

"Elena, you're not pregnant." She explains, shooting her a small smile. Wait, what? She's not?

"I'm not?"

"No."

"Thank you!" Elena breathes out, relief evident in her face as she sits back in the chair.

"Pregnancy tests can throw up some odd results sometimes." She explains. "They aren't one hundred percent accurate. It's always best to go to the Doctor to double check."

"S-so I'm okay? No baby?" Elena stutters and I squeeze her hand, shooting her a big smile.

"No baby."

"Oh thank God." Elena exclaims, jumping up as she grins at me. I pull her into a hug and laugh at her excitement, relief clearly flooding through the both of us. "Let's go S!" She exclaims.

"I'll be out in a minute." I reply softly, shooting her a pleading look. There's something I need to discuss with the Doctor, something I've been putting off for months now.

"Okay..." Elena replies, staring at me curiously, "Thanks Doctor!" She says, before leaving the room with a reassuring smile. Turning back to the Doctor I bite my lip as she waits. Wow, I feel awkward. Why is it that it always feels uncomfortable when you're in this kind of scenario Doctors hear this sort of thing everyday, but hey, I still feel anxious about even opening my mouth.

"I was wondering if it's possible to go on some form of birth control?" I manage to stutter out. She nods, smiling slightly as she sits forward.

"Of course."

*~*~*

"You could have just asked her whilst I was still in the room." Elena scoffs as we walk down the street, an ice cream in each of our hands.

"It just made it less awkward!" I justify and she rolls her eyes.

"Well, it's good to know you're being safe." She mutters. "Kyle tried to ring me last night. He left a voicemail."

"He did?"

"He apologized for how he acted."

"Are you going to call him back?"

"No. I'm done." She declares, "I know we were together for eight months but when I thought I was pregnant I realized my biggest problem was with the idea that Kyle was the Father."

"Wow."

"If that's not an alarm bell, I don't know what is." She snorts and I nod in agreement. That is one hundred percent a sign that you are with the wrong person.

"Absolutely." I agree. "But you're okay?"

"Yeah. He just isn't the one." She confirms, "Nice necklace by the way."

"Thanks." I smile, gently touching the gift. "Brett gave it to me."

"He's so cute." She exclaims. Suddenly my phone starts ringing and I quickly dig it out my pocket as Elena takes a bite out of her ice cream. I've never understood anyone who does that, don't they get brain freeze? I shake my head before raising the phone to my ear.