78 ~ December

I'm in my own world as I huddle over a map of the mountains, attempting to figure out which way is North. Sadly I've never been very good with maps, always relying on my phone to get me places.

"Savannah?" A voice calls and I glance up, eyes immediately falling on Brett as he makes his way towards me.

"Oh Brett!" I exclaim, "Hi!"

"You okay?" He asks, pointing to the table in front of me.

"Yeah, just trying to figure out what to do this afternoon." I gesture towards the map.

"Where's Elle?"

"Elle and Danny went to a kids club and Alex is in the gym." I explain.

"Well then, spend it with me." He replies bluntly. Is he serious?

"What?" I splutter, "No!"

"Why not?" He shrugs. Is he crazy?

"Because..." I trail off. I literally don't even know what to say but I know that spending time with him is not something I should start doing. It's slippery slope with Brett Winters...

"I have nothing to do either." He announces and I bite my lip.

"I really can't..."

"Why not?" He butts in. This is a bad idea. In the history of bad ideas, this probably comes in at a strong second after the time Becky brought two guys home because she couldn't decide which one she wanted, and they ended up making out with each other in our kitchen.

"I..." I trail off, my brain unable to come up with a suitable excuse.

"Come on." He encourages, smiling at me, "You have nothing else to do. I'll throw you over my shoulder if you resist." He smirks and I roll my eyes.

"Really?"

"You doubt me?" He dares, taking a step towards me.

"Okay okay!" I surrender, holding my hands up. "I'll come." This really is going to backfire on you Savannah. "Where are we going?" I ask, standing up as he turns away.

"For a walk." He grins, glancing at me as we make our way out of the hotel. I smile at the answer, hoping he knows his way around, the unhelpful map having been left behind on the table.

He leads us around the side of the building, heading straight for a small pathway in the side of the mountain. I follow blindly, my Winter boots sinking into the snow as I walk and I thank my lucky stars for Becky's mass shopping spree to 'prepare me' for this trip.

I gaze around as we walk at the white topped mountains. I'm in absolute awe, unable to form words to describe their incredible pure beauty. This is nature at its finest, and I love it.

We walk for around half hour in a comfortable silence, him turning every now and again to make sure I'm still there. He reaches out for my hand to help me up the occasional steps as we go and I enjoy the peace, glancing around at the snow covered trees, the blazing sun that's slowly dipping in the sky. I never want this walk to end.

"Look." Brett finally speaks, pointing ahead. I squint my eyes, able to make out a tiny log cabin in the distance.

"Is that... a cabin?" I ask and he grins, gesturing for me to follow. My feet continue to move behind him, curious about the tiny cabin in the woods, halfway up a mountain. When we get closer I feel my grin widen as he glances back at me. This was always part of the Alaskan Christmas dream - a tiny, cosy cabin tucked away in the middle of nowhere, covered in snow.

Brett digs a key out of his pocket and opens the door, holding it for me to enter. Eyes wide I step in, glancing around as he shuts the door behind us.