109 ~ June

"Where are we going?" Brett asks, his eyes fixed on the road as I drive, all of the windows rolled down in the gorgeous California heat.

"Somewhere special." I retort, turning right towards our hometown.

"The waterfall?" He breathes out, grinning.

"The waterfall." I confirm, shooting him a small smile.

"Amazing." He grins, "I hope you didn't bring a swimsuit." He smirks and I roll my eyes, shaking my head at him in amusement. Does this boy's head ever come out from the gutter?

"We aren't going there for that!"

"What are we going there for then?" He almost whines and I laugh.

"You'll see." I reply simply, descending into a comfortable silence as the radio continues to blare. Before long I pull over and park the car, jumping out and heading straight for the trunk.

"Let's go!" I exclaim, pulling out what I need as Brett raises an eyebrow at me.

"A shovel?"

"Don't ask, just follow!" I lecture before shooting him a grin and starting up the path, shovel tucked under my arm. Before long I am breathing heavily, slowing down and realizing just how unfit I've become, having used this pregnancy as an excuse to do absolutely nothing.

"Are you okay?" Brett asks from behind, his arm wrapping around my waist.

"Yeah." I reply, "Just a lot of extra weight to cart around." I smile up at him as he shakes his head.

"Come here." He quickly places his hands under my legs and lifts me up as I squeal, shovel still clutched in my hand.

"Brett!" I exclaim, "I am perfectly capable of walking up a hill!"

"I know, but I decided that you shouldn't have to." He retorts, continuing up the hill as he steps away from the path and through the trees towards our secret place.

"How are you today?" I ask him after a couple of minutes, absentmindedly looking up at his gorgeous face, his eyes on the terrain in front of us.

"Okay I think." Brett replies, glancing down, "I'm thankful that you're safe."

"You too." I reply in a small voice before leaning against his muscular chest and inhaling his comforting scent, allowing it to relax me.

"It hit me last night that our child won't have a Grandfather." He says after a moment of silence and I pull back slightly, looking up at his hurt expression.

"They don't need one." I reply, "We have your Mom and Alice, Becky and Ellis, Elle and Alex." I remind him with a smile, "Our baby won't even notice."

"It's just hard to think of what we'll tell them when they ask."

"One day at a time, right?" I reply as he steps into the clearing.

"One day at a time," Brett nods in agreement before carefully setting me down onto my feet as we both glance towards the serene waterfall. "Just as gorgeous as ever."

"The waterfall or me?"

"The waterfall." He smirks and I raise an eyebrow.

"Oh."

"You are more gorgeous than ever." He adds, smirking as he grabs hold my waist and pulls me against him.

"I'm a whale!" I whine, pouting.

"No you're not." Brett laughs, "Absolutely breathtaking." He grins, stepping back and scanning my body from head to toe, the look in his eyes sending a flutter of lust from my stomach to my core. Hell, how does he still have this power over me, even after all this time?