22 ~ June

"Such lovely service! Here you go." The woman smiles, handing some me some coins.

"Thank you so much!" I grin back, "Have a lovely day." I watch as they leave the diner to enjoy the hot, summer weather, not bitter at all.

Okay, maybe I am.

I sigh as the door shuts behind them, placing the money into the register. Only two hours until the end of my shift and then I have two days off. The feeling is exhilarating, I can't wait to lie in and not worry about making myself look presentable. Absolute Heaven.

The bell on the door sounds once more and I look up, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion at the figure who enters, smiling at me as they walk over.

"Ben?"

"I have a really big favor to ask." He replies, sliding down onto the stool.

"Okay?" I answer slowly, "None of your friends can help?"

"Not really." He replies, "Plus, I thought we were friends?"

"You did?"

"Come on Diner Girl!" He grins, slouching down on the counter.

"What do you want?" I ask, eyeing him warily as I begin to wipe along the counter.

"Come to prom with me."

"What?" I splutter, dropping the cloth.

"Prom. Come with me."

"Are you crazy?" I retort, shaking my head.

"Why the hell not?"

"Because... because you don't know me." I exclaim, picking the cloth back up and continuing to clean the surface. Prom? Is this guy serious? I barely know these jocks, and suddenly I'm their favorite person.

"You're a beautiful girl." He shrugs, "I have no-one else to ask."

"Absolutely not."

"Come on Sav!" He pleads, never losing the smile. "Help a guy out."

"I'm sure any of the other cheerleaders will jump at the chance," I scoff.

"I don't want to go with them," He objects, "Please don't make me sit through a night of Ashleys." He has a point, that does sound like torture. I'll be needing someone to help me at my Prom next year, to keep me away from Ashley and her minions.

"I'm sorry Ben." I answer, turning back and shooting him a quick apologetic smile before picking up the empty napkin holders.

"I'm not accepting that answer."

"I don't have a dress." I retort, carrying the holders over to the counter.

"Then wear a suit. I won't mind." He shrugs and I smile.

"Very funny."

"You can't make me go to my own prom alone Diner Girl." He sighs and I raise an eyebrow.

"Yes I can."

"Please!" He begs as I grab a stack of napkins and shove them into the holder, "Please Savannah!" He continues and I shake my head, "I beg you. What else are you going to do tonight?"

"Watch Netflix." I shrug.

"I'll buy you a McDonalds at the end of the night." He tries bargaining.

"You will?" I stop, looking up at him.

"Of course." He nods, a hopeful expression on his face.

"Sorry Ben..." I dismiss, looking back to the holders and continuing to stuff them.