17 ~ Month Seven: June

I carefully clean the counter before washing the cloth off, grimacing at the heat in the diner today, beads of sweat gathering on my forehead as I work. Reaching up, I attempt to wipe it away, cursing under my breath at the sound of the door opening, instantly looking up and spotting the familiar jock, his Letterman jacket covering his toned body.

Isn't he hot in that? I'm sweating in this horrible brown diner dress.

The door shuts behind him and he looks over at me, a smile appearing on his face as he begins to make his way over. Quickly grabbing the notepad from beside me, I attempt to keep my face emotionless as he approaches.

"What can I get you?"

"I'm not going through all this again Savannah." Brett sits down at the counter, eyeing me warily.

"Nothing? Thank you for your cus..."

"When do you finish?" He cuts me off.

"What?"

"Your shift?" He smiles and I roll my eyes.

"None of your bus..."

"I'll wait."

"You... you..." I stutter, my voice lost at his words.

"Coffee please." He exclaims, speaking loud enough for Harry to hear from across the room.

"Coming right up." I respond through gritted teeth, grabbing a mug from behind me and placing it in front of him.

"Thank you."

"That will be a dollar, twenty-five," I reply, holding my palm out. He smiles slightly, reaching into his pocket and pulling out some coins, looking down at them before placing them gently into my hand. I desperately try to ignore the flutter in my chest at the slight contact, instantly looking away, "Thanks."

I walk back out to the tables, cleaning the empty ones and refilling the napkin holders, anything to stop me from looking over at him.

He's sat there watching me, I can feel it. Why is he even here? Doesn't this boy have better things to be doing with his time? I'm still trying to work him out, maybe this is all part of some big high school prank to make me fall in love with him or beg to go to prom with him. Well, it ain't gonna happen.

I can promise you that.

The final half hour flies past as I busy myself with the little jobs around the diner that I normally give to the newer staff.

I walk into the back as soon as the clock strikes three, desperate to slip out the back without being noticed. The day has felt longer than normal, the humidity having made me feel exhausted and I pull my shorts on quickly, immediately feeling better, cool air touching my arms as I pull the lilac halterneck down over my head. Grabbing hold of the back door I yank it open, throwing my bag over my shoulder and leaving the diner, making it five steps before a hand curls around my shoulder, pulling me back and gently pressing me to the wall, his arms caging me in.

"Leaving?" Brett asks, his voice husky.

He's so close to me, I feel my heart flutter, my mind desperately praying that he doesn't notice my unplucked eyebrows. What? Why do I care?

"Yes." I reply breathlessly.

"I told you I'd wait." He smirks down at me and I feel my cheeks redden.

"I'd rather you didn't." I retort and he shrugs.

"I didn't give you a choice." He smirks and I feel my breath catch in my throat as his gaze drifts down towards my lips.