55 ~ February

"Brett!" I instinctively scream and he immediately turns back around, Bruno's punch landing onto his left shoulder. Brett reels back slightly before sending his fist flying back into Bruno's face. The crowd around us grows instantly, and suddenly two guys have pushed their way through, grabbing onto Brett and pulling him back before one of them sends his hand flying directly into Brett's stomach. Brett keels over, coughing slightly and I take a step forward before Brett quickly straightens up and dodges the next attack, landing a hit onto the guy's nose.

Brett has thrown himself into this, into a potentially damaging fight in order to protect me and now he's outnumbered and his chances of winning are diminishing swiftly. This is Bruno's house, and there's a high chance that more of his friends will appear at any second to help him. I don't know whether Brett came here with friends but there's no-one around that I recognize. Without thinking I take two steps closer to the fight, intent on helping him, but unsure how.

"Sav!" Elena screams, emerging through the crowd and grabbing onto my hand, pulling me back and away from my insane plight to help Brett. "S, let's go!" She orders, desperately attempting to pull me away from the manic crowd. I turn back to glance at Brett as he dodges another hit before I am sucked into the depths of the crowd, further away from them.

"Louise?" I yell at Elena, causing her to stop and glance around, her eyes wide.

"I'm here." Louise assures, appearing right beside us as she wrestles out of the crowd, "Let's go." She finishes and Elena nods, grabbing hold of me once more and pulling me through the house and back to the front door.

"I don't think we'll be going to one of Bruno's parties again." Elena mutters as we descend the stairs, out onto the street. You can say that again.

"I agree." Louise shivers, "That was strange."

"It was a drug den!" Elena exclaims, wrapping her arms around herself as we begin to walk down the street. "I never even found Kyle."

"Who was that boy who got into the fight for you?" Louise asks, glancing over at me.

"Don't even ask!" Elena scoffs, crossing her arms.

"Oh."

"How does Brett always find you anyway?" Elena mutters, "I mean we were only there half an hour and I hadn't seen him. Maybe he stalks you!"

"Okay, so you know him." Louise notes out loud.

"S more than 'knows him'." Elena smirks and I roll my eyes at her.

"Oh." Louise exclaims, her green eyes round.

"I mean they knew each other before college."

"Okay." Louise accepts, "Sav? You okay?"

"Hmm..." I manage before turning to glance at them, "Yeah. I'm just confused."

"Confused?"

"Why does he always help me? How is he always there?" I let out. I don't quite understand Brett, I never have, his actions constantly confusing me.

I mean back in high school it was a different type of confusing. I liked him and I thought he liked me, but he always threw different idiotic things at me that meant I had no idea where I stood with him, no idea whether he liked me, or was playing me.

But this, this is different. He's done nothing to hurt me since I've come to college, in fact it's been the exact opposite, seeming to worry and care for me, attempting to make sure I'm happy whenever he sees me. Maybe Brett Winters really has grown up. Maybe he's changed.

"Exactly! I'm confused too." Elena agrees, linking her arm with mine as we continue down the street, away from the chaos that is my life. Digging my phone out quickly I glance at the screen, not surprised to see that I have nothing from Haydon, not even a text. He's been pretty much off the radar since I saw him last month. He's rang me roughly twice a week, the rest of the time a simple text in the morning and evening have been all we've had and I wonder whether we're reaching the breaking point.