Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I let out a deep breath. The gate was starting to open and we were about to witness the harsh truth of this war. The burning fires, the suffocating smoke all over the places made by those bombs and bullets, and the endless noises of agony, filled this country with pain and cruelty.

Tonight with this powerful plane made by passion, and together with the UASA space commander. I will fly not with my license and title, but with my beating heart screaming for justice for every life that was sacrificed for in this war.

We were already positioned with our seats. Pedro took the front seat which was connected with the dock system, and once that we got the desired position in the airfield, his seat would be transported to the lower part of the plane, and quickly take him to the routing plane.

To make Grippe MP973 fully function with its highly advanced features, this plane needed two pilots in command. And that would be him and me. Wala na rin ibang piloto ang maaaring umupo sa responsibilidad na ito, dahil halos lahat ay nasa himpapawid pa. I doubt, Engr. Wrights would give anyone permission to fly his plane if it wasn't Peter. Dahil kahit ako ay nahirapan siyang kumbinsihin.

Nagsisimula nang umangat mula sa lupa ang eroplano. At this moment, I have all the controls for in-flight procedures, while Peter has control over any offensive actions. I have the wings, and he has the guns.

Wala nang nagsalita sa pagitan namin dahil kapwa na nakatuon ang atensyon namin sa haharapin namin sa ere.

Dahil nasa likuran niya ako, malaya ko siyang napapagmasdan. The movement of his head, his hands, the way he pressed those buttons and screens until I realized that this was my first time to see him on flight, with action.

Hindi sa malayo, kundi sa mismong harapan ko.

Nang nasa UASA ako, mas madalas kaming magkasama ni Commander Jensen kumpara kay Pedro. I am more familiar with Jensen's air combats, skills, and how he could strategically manipulate the whole flock. I admire him, but no one could ever surpass Commander Mitts's place for me in terms of air combat.

I looked at him again. I used to see him as a flirt and horny arrogant pilot who want me on his bed. I used to hate how his blue eyes scanned my body, the way he bit his lower lip, and how he fought with his ego against Commander Jensen. I thought I was just their new flavor— a subject for their competition.

Pero habang tumatagal ay unti-unti nang nawawala ang impresyon kong iyon sa kanya.

"Behati?"

My mind stopped on its way from the past when I heard his voice on my headphones.

Damn, I shouldn't let my mind spaced out at this moment.

"Yes, Commander?"

Lumingon na siya sa akin at pansin ko ang kunot niyang noo.

"You're spacing out. What were you thinking? Presence of mind. You're not alone, baby." Napahinga ako nang maluwag sa sinabi niya.

Pedro and your blue eyes.

I shook my head. Took a deep breath and focused my attention. Sa pagkakataong ito, ako naman ang nasa likuran niya. Nakakapanibago dahil sa tuwing nasa himpapawid kaming magkasama ni Pedro, hindi ko siya nakikita sa aking unahan. He was always at my back not to hide out of fear, but to protect me from those attacks that couldn't be reached by my eyes— by my aircraft. He was trying to protect me, while letting me to fly wildly in air with no limitation.

After a few minutes, we had our successful takeoff.

Since I have the command for wings while he has the weapons, I have the communication system to reach the other pilots in the airfield. We need to inform them that the newly arrived enormous plane is an ally.