Chapter One

It was 4:15pm and Adaline was waiting by the steps for her mum to pick her up from school. It was the last day of the term and the school had finally broken up for spring term, this meant lots of parties and problems involving her other school friends and students at the school.

Although Adaline was classed as one of the 'popular kids' she wasn't one to go to parties and was only ever there if she had been dragged by her best friend, Evelyn.

She stood by the same brick wall and tree she had been for the last two years, since their first year of high school. Although she was now in her final year, it all seemed so similar.

Everything was the same, each day after school and before Adaline would meet her best friend, Evelyn by the tree and they would walk into or out of school together.

However Adaline stood alone today, as Evelyn had to stay behind for cheer practice. Adaline stood gripping round her books as she dazed off into space dreaming back to when she was on the team and how she would always be the top of the pyramid, she missed the adrenaline she would get every time she climbed to the top and stood balancing with her feet on the other girls hands.

A car horn beeped, snapping her back into reality "Adaline!" Adaline's mother, Julie shouted as the window slowly rolled down, revealing her mother wearing dark sunglasses.

She side glanced out of the window over to where Adaline was stood with her backpack, holding her books. "Come on, stop dawdling", she scolded as Adaline groaned and made her way over to the car.

"Must you always complain" Adaline muttered under her breath as she walked round to the passengers door and climbed into the front seat. They drove for a while quietly, Adaline gazed out of the windows as rows of pretty suburban houses and trees simmered past and she thought about what little families lived inside.

Ever since she was little she had always had a strong imagination and loved to make up little scenarios in her head, that's probably why most people saw her as a ditz considering she was

"always off in her own little world" her family would say.

"So how was school? I heard you were given your chemistry tests back today?" Julie blurted out staring over to Adaline waiting to hear what her daughter had received on hers. Adaline's parents were very strict over Adaline and had high expectations for her. Adaline had always been an A grade student (call it one of her many skills she had) and so, with that meant the constant pressure from her parents to maintain those good grades.

Anytime she fell a little lower than usual she was forced into tutors or extra lessons to hold up those standards once again.

It was very stressful on Adaline knowing she had to constantly make her parents proud and the one thing she hated was disappointing them, which unfortunately was quite often.

She let out a deep breath before replying to her mother, knowing exactly the reaction she was going to get. "Well? what did you get Adaline?" her mother added sounding more worried now.

"I got an A-" Adaline muttered quietly hoping her mother wouldn't hear her but unfortunately she did.

"I'm sorry?" she asked slowly but Adaline could tell she was beginning to get annoyed.

"An A-, I got an A-" she replied and her mother let out a deep sigh but continued to stare ahead concentrating on driving. Adaline looked down at her hands now cupped in her lap, waiting impatiently for her mother's reply.

"Did you not bother to revise? Or focus properly on this test? I bet it's those bloody books of yours, constantly reading those things when you should be focusing on your school work instead" her mother tutted as she rolled her eyes, sighing with disappointment that her daughter hadn't gotten the usual A* on her tests.

Adaline didn't care what grades she got and knew forewell an A- was nothing to be ashamed of.

Her parents were not horrible, they just liked to show off their daughter. They were high up in the work industry and worked very hard so obviously their daughter would need to retain that same work mind as well, if not then she was constantly bugged until she did.

Maybe it was the fact she was an only child, which meant the focus was always on her to achieve things was the reason she was pressured so much to make them proud.

"I did revise and try really hard I swear" Adaline groaned but her mother just continued to focus on driving. "I promise, I revised non stop in my room, you saw me at my desk for hours every night!" Adaline explained trying to get her mother to see that she did bother and like usual eventually her mother gave in.

That was another one of Adaline's skills, she was very good at persuasion.

"Alright, Alright. But this better not happen again, I expect you to focus more for next semester and revise even harder. Maybe we need to get you another tutor again.." Julie mumbled as they pulled along the road towards their house. Adaline fell silent, listening to her mother rather than trying to disagree.

She didn't want or need a tutor but if her parents said so then she just did it to make them happy.

She figured this out while growing up that it was in fact easier to just obey her parents rather than argue back, as in the end it always went downhill for her.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Okay, so this is the first chapter of my book. I hope you guys enjoy it and stay around to be updated when I post more chapters.

Unlike my other books I decided to write one which wasn't based around once upon a time (I know big shocker)

Anyway I'm hoping to, in the future write more books when I next get inspiration.

Thank you again for all the support and reads, votes and comments you guys give me, I'm forever grateful 🖤

Be sure to check out my other books, and follow my Instagram linked in my bio to be updated everytime I post a new chapter or need advice or votes on something.