Chapter Nine

Adaline groaned as she woke up to the sound of her mother knocking at the door.

"Adaline honey! Wake up we're leaving soon" Julie shouted not caring to gently wake her daughter up but instead instantly shaking her awake. "Your Aunt Carol is so excited to see you again" she added as she began to pull open the curtains in Adaline's bedroom.

"Oh joy" Adaline said sarcastically as she rolled out of bed and over to her wardrobe.

She pulled out a new outfit before getting dressed, her mother went back downstairs to continue writing a document.

Adaline got ready before making her way downstairs, noticing her parents formal suitcases and briefcases stood over by the door ready to leave. She struggled to pull her suitcase down the steps, both her parents sat across from her in the kitchen not moving an inch to help before she managed to yank the case but it toppled down the steps and fell onto the floor with a bang knocking Adaline over onto the floor with a thump as well.

"Careful dear, you'll damage the laminate flooring!" Julie said not looking up from her laptop.

"Oh yeah, don't worry about your daughter on the floor" Adaline muttered to herself getting up from the floor and picking up her suitcase, putting the clothes that had fallen out back in, and closing the unzipped case.

Just then, there was a knock at the door, Adaline rushed and opened it considering she doubted her parents were going to move.

"Ads!" Evelyn cried as she threw her arms around Adaline hugging her tightly "I'm going to miss you so much!" she shouted.

Adaline pushed her back "Are you crying?" she said shocked to see her bestfriend with tears running down her cheeks.

"Yeah" she let out a small laugh "I'm just gonna miss you so much" she said as she began to cry again laughing as she pulled Adaline back in for another hug.

"I'm only going to be gone for a few weeks!" Adaline said as she hugged her back feeling a tear drop down her cheek too. "You were away longer when you went on your trip to Iceland!" she added laughing and Evelyn laughed too.

"Don't make new friends out there and forget me, okay?" Evelyn questioned holding Adaline round the shoulders shaking her "Promise me" she added gripping round her shoulders harder.

"I promise" Adaline replied laughing before pulling Evelyn into one more hug.

......

A while later they were on the road, her parents sat in the front in silence or if not then talking about work business. Adaline sat in the back with her earphones in listening to her music trying to block out the boring topics her parents were talking about.

She gazed out of the window as her town began to disappear behind her and the empty, strange fields simmered past. Adaline wondered what life would be like living at her aunts and whether things would be that far different from back home.

A while later the new town of Devonarch began to appear and soon enough they were driving through the streets, passing all the homes getting closer to Aunt Carols. The long journey had already been too much for Adaline and she had fallen asleep in the back, her legs cradled up beside her leaning against the door with her head resting on the window.

Adaline was woken to a car door being slammed shut, she bolted up right and saw her parents stepping out of the car and walking round to the back. She groaned as she leant upwards, rubbing at her neck in discomfort after sleeping funny on the way there.

She then looked around wondering where she was before remembering and letting out a huge huff as she peered out the window and over to the door where an overly happy woman was stood waving like crazy. "Must be Aunt Carol" Adaline thought to herself as she got up and made her way round to the boot to grab her suitcase from her father.

She followed behind her parents as they made their way up to the porch and hugged Aunt Carol and Uncle Andrew but Adaline just stood awkwardly behind with her hands behind her back.

"Oh Adaline! You look so grown up" Aunt Carol said as she rushed forward holding her hands out before cupping Adaline's face admiring her beauty. She then pulled her into a tight hug.

"Ugh Oh" Adaline groaned as the literal life was squeezed out of her.

"Sorry dear, didn't mean to squeeze you that hard!" Aunt Carol exclaimed as she continued to creepily stare at Adaline amazed by how much she had grown up.

"I barely recognise you" she exclaimed holding her hands out once again.

"Adaline, nice to see you. You look well" Uncle Andrew spoke formally, clearly he was much calmer than her aunt.

"Thank you" Adaline replied giving them a quick smile.

"Well, we should be going. Got to catch our flight to Milan in a few hours" Adaline's Mum said as her and her father said goodbye to her Aunt and Uncle.

"Ah yes, well you enjoy your trip. We'll take good care of Adaline" Aunt Carol said with a huge grin, Adaline just stared at her in disbelief that someone could be that happy all the time.

"Okay, well Goodbye. Goodbye Adaline, be good for your Aunt won't you" Adaline's mother said sternly as she kissed her daughter goodbye giving her a serious glare which meant do not misbehave.

"Bye Ads, have fun and be good" Adaline's father said kissing her forehead, giving her a quick hug, before her mother and father climbed back into their car and with that drove away to leave her at this crazy ladies house for weeks.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Other books:
Until The End
Unpredicted Love
Love That Hurts
Who Are We Fooling

Follow my Instagram linked in my bio, to be updated whenever I post a new chapter or need your guys's advice on something 🖤