Chapter Two

"I wanna hide the truth, I wanna shelter you."

-------

I was rudely awaken by a loud alarm echoing through the bedrooms. The girls were screaming, but I knew what was going on. I've heard about how all of this stuff works, most all of the lower class families were told what happens inside of here.

I guess the upper class families weren't informed. The alarm is just a way of waking everyone up quickly, and effectively. It worked very well, but I guess they wouldn't do it if it didn't work. All the girls we're looking around frantically.

"Oh my god! We're going to die!" A blonde girl in the bed next to me exclaimed in horror. I sighed and turned to face her. "It's just a way of getting us to wake up." I told her and relief flooded through her face. "Oh, thank God." She said with an over exaggerated sigh.

I got up off of the bed and went to look in the mirror. My once curly hair was now in deformed knots in my hair. I sighed in frustration and tried to fix it as well as I could. "You need help?" The same girl from earlier asked me.

"Well, unless you have something to get the knots out of my hair and a curling iron..." I trailed off and she smiled at me and opened a cabinet above the mirror that held tons of hair supplies. "I'll do it for you." She said and I smiled at her.

"Thanks." I said as I watched her plug the curling iron into the closest outlet. "I'm Angel." She said as she sprayed something on my hair and began to comb through it. "Crystal." I said watching her through the mirror. 

"There." She said once she got all the knots out of my hair. I smiled appreciatively at her as she began to curl the ends of my hair like Maxine had done the other day. Once she finished I probably thanked her about a thousand times. 

"It's really no problem." She laughed. "Can I help you do yours?" I asked and she hesitated, but then nodded. I smiled and switched places with her. I looked at her hair and tried to think of something to do with it. 

It was majorly curly so I eyed the straightener in the cabinet. "Go for it." She said catching my gaze. I smiled and plugged the straightener in and waited for it to heat up. I brushed through her hair quickly and began straightening it. 

It was a huge task and I was sweating by the time I was done. "There." I sighed of relief and I brushed through her hair one last time, trying not to make it frizzy. "I haven't had my hair this straight in years. Thank you." She smiled genuinely at me.

"It's nothing." I chuckled and put the straightener back in the cabinet. Angel was about to say something, but then the alarm blared again making everyone go silent. I guess they all figured out what it was. 

Why would it ring again though? My thoughts were answered when about twenty guards came in and yelled at us to line up. This is it. I sighed shakily and got in line behind Angel. Tears pricked my eyes, I tried to take deep breaths to calm myself, but it wasn't working very well. 

"Let's go, ladies." A man said hitting one of the girls in the side with a gun. Were guns really necessary? It's just a bunch of scared teenage girls. One of the girls wasn't moving and the guy shot the gun in the air and started yelling at her to move.

The guns are there to scare us. Not hurt us. Well, maybe hurt us if we didn't listen to them. I decided to stick with what Faye told me and obey everything they say. I walked with my head tilted down, trying not to make eye contact with any of the guards. 

We were forced to walk down the halls of the old building. As we passed the lower class room I looked at the girls and felt awful. Who's to say I'm more important than them? I tried to tell the guards I belong with them, but I couldn't form the words.