Goodbyes

I'll give anything to have you in my arms,I'll cross the wildest seas and climb the tallest mountains just to have you,run away with my love,run away with me." Antony said while holding her small delicate hands close to his chest.

Joanna looked at him and sighed,she refused to let the tears that lingered in her eyes fall.She knew it was impossible to be with the man that stood before her, life had already decided her fate or rather her father had already signed and sealed the course her life will soon take.

She remained silent as she watched the man that completely adored and loved her break down in silent pain.She could not be with him, she could not let her father down, she was raised to be a proper young lady, she could not allow her heart to think for her, she would use her mind and walk away before things got out of hand.She swiftly pulled her hand away from his and run, she run as fast as her legs could carry her.

The brilliant rays of the sun and the calm sea made the day look beautiful and peaceful but the turmoil within Joanna's heart said otherwise. She collapsed on the sandy shores of the beach and wept, she wept for the man she couldn't be with, she wept for being weak and unable to speak her mind even when she knew she was right,she wept for the life she will never have. She wept until she wept no more, soon her eye lids couldn't take it anymore, she drifted into slumber where her pain was momentarily forgotten.

It was already dusk when Joanna woke up. "Papa must be hungry by now,"she thought as she picked up the hem of her long dress and run home. The cottage was small but well kept, the garden infront of the house made it look more beautiful and lively. Joanna had made it her duty to make sure their home looked beautiful even though it was small and pretty much empty. She shuffled into the kitchen through the back door, she didn't want her father to question her over her whereabouts, she has always made it her mission to avoid problems whenever she could.

While in the kitchen, Joanna heard footsteps matching into the house, she could tell the husky voice belonged to her father but the gruffy voice was unfamiliar.

Joanna knew it was uncultured to eavesdrop but the conversation wasn't making it easy for her to mind her on business. Without wasting much time, she peeped through the kitchen door to get a glimpse of the man her father was talking to.

"She is of age I believe,"the short and chubby man said while tapping his fingers on the wooden stool.

"Seventeen summers,beautiful and docile,"Joanna's father remarked while staring at the porch of coins on the stool besides his guest.

The man rose to his feet and threw the porch of coins at Joanna's father making his eyes glow with greed and excitement. Mr. Linton Shepherds loved his daughter but he loved money more, a theory, Joanna just proved to be true. Her father once said it was unwise to marry his dear daughter off, instead he would find her a job as a servant so that she can fend for herself and him. "Am growing old and weary child, it's better you be a slave and be paid than to be a slave to a man who will only burden you and not pay you," he constantly reminded his daughter but Joanna knew that her father was afraid of marrying her off because he wasn't sure her husband would take care of his financial needs as he desired.

"Your service for the Kingdom is well appreciated Mr. Linton, I'll return in two days time."The man said.

And with that, Joanna's fate was sealed. In exactly two days, Joanna would embark on a journey, and it's certainly not a voyage of adventure.

Instead of crying herself to sleep that night, Joanna resolved to herself that she would not waste her tears over spilled milk,"what is done is done, I'll make due with what I have left," she said while she folded the few dresses she had, some being of her late mother. She gathered all her belongings including her favourite books and squized them in a small brown bag.
The day after tomorrow, she will be travelling to become the 'Palace Maid'.