Awaken

Rayala could hear the slow and deliberate footsteps matching towards her. Her heart raced at tremendous speeds and her lungs shallowly rose and fell at the same time. She was terrified but she couldn't allow herself to be subservient to fear. Like a kettle letting out steam, Rayala inhaled and exhaled. She took a step closer towards the iron bars that separated her from freedom, standing in place to courageously face the man who had the power to decide whether she lives or dies.

The iron bars were the only things blocking Leo from pouncing on Rayala. With his arms crossed behind his back, Leo stared at Rayala without averting his gaze, he watched her as if missing one vital detail would mean the end of existence. His expression of utter disdain betrayed his thoughts. Identifying Rayala as the lady who had earlier tried to seduce him, Leo could not help but wonder what prince Darius saw in her. But then again, when it came to manly pleasures, the heart of the woman did not matter, only the cooling of the man's burning desires counted. Without uttering a word, Leo turned his back and walked away. Leo knew he could finish her off with a snap of his finger, but he was determined to prolong her suffering.

Joanna wiggled her head several times. She covered her ears with her hands and nuzzled her face against a pillow but the voices did not stop.
"It's time, it's time, it's time. You have seen, you shall choose." The voice echoed over and over in Joanna's ears. Out of frustration, she screamed at the top of her lungs. The doors of the chamber burst open. Leo and two guards stormed inside the room like a lion ready to attack it's prey.

"My love." Leo said as he rushed towards Joanna and enveloped her in his arms. Joanna did not have time to resent the offered gesture. She willingly melted into his muscles, softly placing her head on his shoulder and inhaled his perfect smell. His touch made the room somehow warmer and her future a little less bleak.

Joanna did not want the moment to come to an end, but Leo released her from his warm embrace, making her desire nothing but a mere wish. " Are you alright?" Leo asked. His bright green eyes filling with genuine concern. Joanna could not help but avert her eyes, not because the man who sat beside her was not close to being prince Darius but because he seemed to glow with an ethereal dark beauty, one that could easily have her enthralled. " Am...am alright." She finally mustered the courage to speak.

In a single minute, Jaonna's life had taken a turn. She could not say whether or not she was dreaming. All she knew was that she wanted the blissful moment to last for a lifetime. The man sitting besides her did not just render her speechless, but he created an atmosphere of love, familiarity and belonging and Joanna did not mind spending an eternity wrapped up in his arms.