Answers

Joanna could not summon the strength to move or make a sound. She stood rigid, watching the queen wallow in pain over and over again. The silence was intence but the screams that followed afterwards could not be explained. The queen's piercing scream tore through Joanna like a great shard of glass. The scream vividly potrayed the realness of a person consumed by a pain that knew no end or limit. Joanna's heart went out to the queen, she was greatly perturbed with the queen's agony. Joanna knew how it felt to loose someone dear to the soul, and she did not wish such a calamity to be fall anyone,not even her worst enemy.

It was announced that the king of RiverGreen had seven days to live and the queen did not take the news lightly. She spent most of the time crying and begging the gods for mercy but help did not come. Joanna, Dotty and some other servants had no rest, they were all busy,trying to keep the queen calm in one way or the other despite the presence of the prince.

In her rigid position, Joanna's mind wandered to prince Darius. Joanna knew beyond doubt that Darius would scale heaven and earth to make sure his father got better but the man sitting on his throne was far from being concerned with the welfare of the king. He had suddenly become too busy,hooked on crucial matters that did not involve the kingdom.

Joanna's heart rate increased, she clenched her jaw and released a heavy sigh. She could not tolerate the man's callousness any longer. She had to get answers,even if it meant loosing the life she had taught herself to enjoy. Without thinking twice, Joanna shuffled out of the queen's chamber and stormed inside the study room in an unlady like manner. Leo was startled, he was just about to lush out when he saw his beloved standing before him, causing him to regain his composure.

Joanna's eyes were narrowed, rigid, cold and hard. In that moment, Leo knew all hell had broken loose.
"Where is the prince?" Joanna blurted out the question before Leo could think of saying anything.
All colour drained from Leo's face and brightness evaporated from his eyes. "You prefer him over me?" Leo spat out the question, his elbows were propped out on the desk and his eyes were glued on an invisible figure behind Joanna.

Joanna could see the pain she had caused him. In a split of seconds, Joanna had lost all her strength and courage.
"Answer me." Leo said. His voice was calm but his anger was not hidden
"The king is dying,the...the Prince can help him." Joanna murmured.
"Did they care about me when they wiped out my entire generation, did they care when they took away the dearest to my heart? Did they??" Leo bitterly questioned, banging his fist against the desk, causing Joanna to squirm.

An intense silence filled the room. At a blink of an eye, Leo was before Joanna, his bright green eyes filling with sorrow. His hand came under her chin, forcing her to look into his eyes.
"I thought you were different." Leo whispered. He placed a kiss on her forehead and pulled away, exiting the study room without uttering another word.

The tears that lingered in Joanna's eyes freely spilled. Her heart ached for him. She could not explain the different emotions that were bubbling inside of her but she knew that life had taken a turn and she did not know whether or not her new destination would favour her.