Forest

Joanna kept on tossing and turning as she tried her level best to find a comfortable position to place her tiny body. Despite putting a small blanket and some of her clothes on the ground to make her sleep less uncomfortable she was still nowhere close to having a good night sleep.

Turning her attention to the sky, she saw the stars were like lucid snowflakes of silver as they sprinkled the night sky and she couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of the stars that stood peacefully in their place. It could have been a beautiful night if she was in the arms of her bed and not open to being attacked by bandits or having to listen to the occasional hoot of an hidden owl and the howling of wolves in the forest.

Just like her environs, Joanna's mind was also in topsy-turvy. She could not understand why the prince had to bring her on a tedious and dangerous journey.

"You will be travelling with me to Amerlot, I don't see the reason why my men and I should struggle preparing a meal when I have more than enough servants."
The words of the Prince echoed continuously in her mind. To Joanna, not only was the Prince cruel but he was also a heartless monster, no man should put any woman in the hands of trouble and disaster and the Prince had no right to deprive her of the rights to make her own decision, but then again Joanna had never  had a chance to make decisions on her own, she could think but she could never voice her opinions, and once again, her fate was already signed and sealed, she was either going to be attacked by wild animals or the bandits who had nothing better to do than to lurk in the forest seeking whom they may devour.

Joanna sighed in surrender, life was starting to turn against her and she could do nothing but watch. Before she was ordered to go and clean the stables, she was busy engaging in her normal routines when Dotty,the housekeeper had her role switched. It was a habit of hers to randomly change the servant's duties, she always said, "Insanity comes in when one does the same thing over and over again."

While Joanna was busy cleaning the utensils, Rayala walked in the kitchen, immediately sending shivers down Joanna's spine.Joanna knew Rayala did not like her so she did her best to avoid her but this time around she wasn't so lucky.
Loathe and disdain were written all over Rayala's face, she slowly took slow but well calculated steps as she worked her way towards Joanna. Joanna suddenly felt as if the room was getting smaller and everyone else was slowly disappearing.

Joanna averted her eyes away from her and slowly whispered a prayer for her enemy not come to where she was.She was standing at a small corner near the window and her position would make it hard for people to see Rayala doing something outrageous against her.

"Well, well, well, look at who the cat brought in today."Rayala snared in Joanna's ears as she walked and stood behind her.
"I know your stupid plans servant, but I just want to let you know that they will not work,the Prince is mine,and the earlier you get that into your thick scull, the better for you",she whispered as she forcefully yanked Joanna's hair causing her to scream in pain.

Tears threatened to escape Joanna's eyes but her will of not letting Rayala have power over her was greater than the pain she felt. She did not understand why Rayala thought she was interested in the prince. At first she had heard some servants whispering that she had begged Dotty to allow her to work in the royal chambers but she chose to ignore the voices of uninformed people.

The crushing of utensils harshly brought Joanna back to reality. Cups and plates laid scattered on the floor.
"No,no,no," she whispered as she dropped and kneeled on the ground. She was busy trying to collect the broken pieces when Rayala started shouting.

"What insolence! How can you be so clumsy? Rayala shouted.
Immediately some servants turned their attention towards Joanna and at a blink of an eye Dotty was shuffling in the kitchen.
"What is going on here?"She angrily question.
"Joanna broke the Royal dishes Mrs. Lockwood, she is so double minded, I don't think she is fit for this kind of tusk." Rayala explained as she tried fervently to fake she was not the cause of the mess before them.

Mrs. Lockwood sadly looked at Joanna, but she knew as the housekeeper she had to set an example, she couldn't afford to have the other servants becoming careless and disobedient.
"For the remaining weeks you shall work in the stables and you shall have no free time." Mrs. Lockwood stated adamantly.

Joanna knew it would be useless to try and defend herself, she would let Rayala rule the day but she will never allow her to have another day of victory.