Chapter Three

The next morning I woke up the sunlight streaming into my eyes and an owl pecking at the window.

The twins seemed to be still sleeping so I walked over to it and let it in. It was a barn owl, the one I recognized as Draco Malfoy’s. I grimaced at the thought of his name.

I snatched the letter from the bird and watched as it flew away. So gracefully, so peacefully flapping its wings.

Once it was completely out of site, I shut the window quietly and proceeded out of the room and down to the kitchen.

Ginny, Mrs. Weasley, and Ron were the only ones awake on this morning, the morning of December 23rd.

“Good morning Rosa!” Ginny smiled at me, “What’re you doing here?” she asked kindly.

“Dad and Tonks said I could spend the rest of Christmas break here.” I lied. Ginny nodded and turned back to the book that was occupying her before I came down.

My attention was brought back to the letter in my hand. I walked into the living room and sat down on the couch, gently placing the letting on the table and opening it.

Once I got the letter out I opened it and began reading it. This is what it said:

Rose Lupin,

I’m sorry for the way I acted, I really am, but that doesn’t mean I’m ready to be a father and you know that. I really love you, Rosaline.

Tears started to spring up as I continued reading it.

I’m sure this baby will be better off without me. Me being a Death Eater and all. Well and I don’t think I’d be able to focus on it, with the task you-know-who has given me and all.

The baby will be perfect, I just know it. I’m truly sorry that I can’t be in its life, and I hope you understand why. I hope you agree with me.

Rose, I love you. Maybe after the war I could meet this baby, maybe I could get you to forgive me, and just maybe I could have you back.

Tears were falling freely from my eyes at this point, and I was receiving a sad look from Mrs. Weasley, who sat at the table writing a letter. Probably the letter to my dad. Anyway, I continued reading.

I’m not counting on any of that, not after the way I treated the situation.

I really hope he or she doesn’t look like me, so you don’t have trouble with telling everyone who the father is, I still want to keep us a secret, even now we are broken up. I really hope it looks like you, you’re better looking anyway.

I smiled at his modesty.

Baby, I love you with all my heart. I just hope you know why I let you go. I just hope you understand. If you can even bare to speak to me again, please owl me back. It would mean the world.

Love,

Draco Malfoy.

At the end of the letter I was almost in hysterics. I don’t know why I was being so emotional about it, probably because I’m pregnant.

After I calmed down I walked back up to the twins’ room and snuck in, grabbing a piece of parchment and my ink with my quill.

I snuck out of the room and back to the same place I was sitting, preparing myself to write this letter.

Taking a deep breath, I wrote his name at the top of the parchment:

Draco Malfoy,

I had no idea what this letter was going to contain, so I just winged it.

I’m still mad at you, and I have a right to be, but I also feel bad for you. He-who-must-no-be-named gave you a horrific job, and finding out you’re a father a little while after that can’t be easy.

Don’t worry, I still love you. Maybe someday you can meet your child, after I have it. I still don’t know what I’m going to do when I have it, people will ask me who the father is. I can’t tell them the truth.  

George told me he had an idea, yes George Weasley. I’m staying with the Weasley’s. Don’t flip, you know I’m best friends with them all, they’re good people.

Now back to the baby, I don’t know what I’m going to do. Mrs. Weasley said she would help me as much as possible, but I don’t know how much that actually is.

I really wish you weren’t in this position and you could have stayed with me, but I understand, completely. Don’t beat yourself up about it; you’ve got enough on your mind.

Anyway, see you at Hogwarts? Yeah, that sounds about right.

I love you,

Rosaline Lupin.

I finished up the letter and walked upstairs. I collected my owl from the window in the twins’ room and walked back downstairs.

Athena, my owl, took the letter from me.

“To Draco Malfoy.” I whispered to her, looking around to make sure Ginny and Ron didn’t hear me.

Athena blinked at me before I opened the window and she flew away, flew into the rising sun.

I will never get sick of seeing owl’s take off into the air.