Chapter Eight

New Year’s Eve snuck up on us fast.

The days leading up to it were about as uneventful as Christmas Eve, but I did contact my Dad.

I told him how I was doing and he told me how he was doing, then he gave the mirror to Tonks and we talked for hours, only to be interrupted by George, who joined or conversation.

Well anyway, today is New Year’s Eve and I am currently cuddled up in between Fred and George on the couch, watching Ron and Ginny play Wizard’s Chess.

“It’s almost midnight.” George leaned over and whispered to me. I peered up to the clock and sure enough, it was 11:50.

I turned toward him to see our faces inches apart. Mrs. Weasley walked in just in time.

“Kids come into the kitchen, it’s almost next year!” she pepped, I smiled at her.

We all stood up, Ginny had just won against Ron and he was pouting at his loss.

“Oh come on Ron, it’s just a game.” I elbowed him in the side with a slight smile on my face; he glared at me and continued into the kitchen.

“Someone’s on their period.” Fred muttered from behind me. I cracked up.

I felt someone’s hand on the small of my back, leading me into the kitchen. Looking over my shoulder, I saw George smiling at me.

We were all standing in the kitchen, watching the clock countdown since it was 11:59. Fred and George were on either side of me and I was holding both of their hands.

“5. 4. 3. 2. 1.” Ron and Ginny counted down.

Fred let go of my hand and jumped up and down while George and I turned toward each other.

“Happy New Year.” He whispered before pressing his lips against mine. There were a few surprised gasps heard at our action, including my own, but I melted into the kiss.

My arms found their way around his neck and his found their way around my waist. Our lips moved perfectly in sync as they were pressed together. This was the first time we really kissed; the last time was just a slight touch of the lips.

As we pulled away literally everyone in the kitchen was gawking at us like we were Voldemort or something.

“That was…interesting…” Ron muttered.

“Alright kids, off to bed!” Mrs. Weasley exclaimed as she gave George and I a weird look.

We made our way up to our room and just as I was about to slip in my bed George grabbed me by the waist and laid me down in his. I looked at him weirdly before he lay down next to me and slipped his arms around my waist.

“George?” I asked, staring at him with a confused expression.

He pressed a finger to my lips, telling me not to speak. So I didn’t.