Chapter 8

Dedicated Chapter Song: Malevolence - New Year's Day

Nothing's gonna save me. The evil that I see has taken over me. No ones gonna save me. The damage has been done I'm righting all the wrongs. I'm relentless like you made me.
(Anna)

“...hurgh...urgh...blerh...” Anna clutched onto a wooden bucket, her head halfway in it as she emptied out her stomach. “I can't believe you actually ate his liver.” Levi grimaced as they sat in an old inn’s dining room. The rest of their friends opted to stay in another part of the inn so that they didn't have to see or smell the disgusting sight. “Gurh...I didn't...” Anna wretched. “Hysteria...Hysteria did...”

“Why don't you try to drink some water?” Hanji slid a glass over to her. “Urgh...I think it's all out...” Anna slowly set the bucket of regurgitated flesh down on the floor and lunged for the glass of cold water. “Hysteria sure does share some similarities to this Victoria Fritz...” Hanji mumbled. Anna let out a deep breathe, hyperventilating after she'd regained consciousness of herself and realized what she'd done.

“I don't...I don't eat people...but she does... And I wasn't even in Titan form! She's some kind of monster—”

“Sanez did mention that was one of Victoria's traits. I'll do some more digging and see if there's anything in the records about her.” Hanji stated. Levi warily looked at Anna. “Fritz was the name of your Boss back in the VM, wasn't it?”

“You don't think... they're connected, do you?” Anna asked. “It's plausible.” Hanji said.

“Here you go.” Ruby suddenly walked into the room, carrying a tray of freshly cooked bread. “This never fails to make Anna feel better. It's a Lariviere family recipe. Pretty simple. Try some.” she handed a roll to each person. “I made plenty.”

“Ooh! It's piping hot!” Hanji exclaimed, making Ruby laugh. “Well, yeah. It's fresh.”

“Thank you, Ruby.” Levi spoke as he took a bite into the bread.

Anna stared at the hot roll in her hands. The heat didn't affect her at all but she found herself unappetized by it. “I...I can't eat this...” she slowly set it down on the wooden table before her. “The smell... it's nauseating.”

“Huh?” Ruby pouted. “But you always love the smell of my baguettes!” she whined. “Sorry...” Anna quietly mumbled. “I'm just not hungry...” she shook her head. “At least take a bite! I don't want it to go stale!” Ruby insisted.

Anna sighed heavily, once more taking up the baguette. “If I take a bite, will you stop pestering me?” she asked. “Not really, but it's worth trying.” Ruby lightheartedly giggled. Anna rolled her blue and gold eyes, sinking her teeth into the bread and biting off a piece.

She grabbed the bucket from before and emptied out the remaining contents of her stomach.

“A-A-Anna?!” Ruby watched in horror as Anna once more regurgitated her food. “Ugh! What the fuck, Rubianne?! Did you mix mine with horse shit?! Is this some cruel joke to get back at me for earlier?!” But the expression on Ruby's face proved she was clueless about why Anna would say such a thing. “Here, drink some water.” Levi spoke calmly.