Chapter 23

Dedicated Chapter Song: Resurrect the Sun - Black Veil Brides

A heartless feeling of pain and regret. These wounds were opened like lines in the sand. The world is sleeping but they still have hope so I pray for morning, I swear I'll never let you die!
(Anna)

 The world is sleeping but they still have hope so I pray for morning, I swear I'll never let you die! (Anna)

For the longest time, I've known. I've known that someday everything would end. I've known that my life would be full of nothing but pain and misery. That I'd die alone. But once I became a soldier...I stopped believing that for some reason. No... that's not it. I know the reason. It was because I realized something.

For the longest time I had been fighting for my own sake. Everyone else had devoted everything to just living another day. They had devoted everything they had to fight for humanity. I alone...had dreams of my own. Before I knew it I was accepted into this family. I had comrades and subordinates under my command that I spoke words of inspiration to. I told them...to dedicate their hearts to humanity. That's how...

I fooled my comrades...how I fooled my friends...my husband...myself...and built a mountain of corpses...

On which I now stand. 

Anna directed her eyes downward to the sea of dead bodies filling the streets. Almost ninety percent of the bodies she was unable to differentiate between humans and Resurrected. The last remnant of hope in her mind was beginning to fade as she eyed the severe casualties at hand.

She stopped caring about the Titans. She ignored it when Reiner was shot down, nearly died, yet still somehow still alive. Her brother screamed at her to snap out of it and to help Hanji but again...she remained still.

“The Colossal Titan!” Mikasa warned. “It's about to fall right on us!”

The cadets looked up at the flying barrel going over head. Ruby stepped back, her eyes wide with horror. “No, no... If that thing gets too close to us... There's no way we'll be able to get out of the way in time!”

But Bertolt seemed to have had other plans in mind. The second he saw Reiner in his Titan with his human body's head blown off, he changed his course of action. “So...” he said once realizing Reiner was still alive. “Does this mean you were able to transfer conscienceness across your body's nervous system? I see... If you use your nervous system with a Titan's brain you'll even be able to retain your memories. But... that's a last resort. I can't believe you'd actually do it. I never thought they'd be able to push you to this...Reiner...”

Ruby landed first closest to Reiner, keeping a low profile and a safe distance while still being close enough to eavesdrop.

“I...want to ask you for something. If you can, I need you to move your body a bit. If you can't... I'm sorry. But you need to prepare yourself.”