Chapter 29

Dedicated Chapter Song: Cancer - My Chemical Romance

This just ain't livin'. And I just hope you know. I will not kiss you.
(Anna to Zeke)

Zeke cocked his head to the side and offered the woman before him a content smile

Zeke cocked his head to the side and offered the woman before him a content smile. “Why don't we have a seat and talk?” he motioned to the crates. Anna slowly lowered her gun and sat, realizing she didn't have too much of a choice.

“I don't personally like resulting to violence unless absolutely necessary.” he chuckled, sitting down on the floor of the ship. “You seemed to be fine with it when you slaughtered my entire fucking brigade, monkey.” Anna glared viciously at that.

“About that...” he sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. “There's something your people should know. I don't want to kill your people. But I have to; to prove myself to Marley.” he sighed. “My parents were part of a secret organization dedicated to restoring and saving Paradise Island and the Eldians there.”

“But you sold them out.” Anna leaned forward on her knees. The report from Samuel Fritz stated that at a young age Zeke Jaeger gave up his parents Dina Fritz and Grisha Jaeger to the Marley government. From there, both Grisha and Dina were turned into Titans and left to wander mindlessly on Paradise Island. Since Grisha had the Attack Titan at that time, Dina was only one truly affected.

“I had to.” Zeke sighed. “My mother was a surviving member of the royal Fritz family, along with her brother Samuel—”

Samuel Fritz?!” Anna practically screamed. “Son a bitch! That means you're related to Hysteria! Is that why you helped her out?! Tell me, now!”

Zeke slowly shook his head. “I didn't help her for her own sake. In fact, I was hoping someone would kill her—”

“Well, I did." Anna crossed her arms over her chest. “Faked my own death in the process.”

“Hysteria never knew about me because I hid the fact that I had royal blood, even from Marley as I acted as their captain.”

“Why would you,” Anna spoke with a sharp and harsh tone. “someone loyal to Marley, do that?” She narrowed her heterochromia eyes. Zeke dropped all smiling or content looks. He was serious now. Anna gulped at the intimidating look in his eyes.

“Because,” he spoke, calmly. “For as long as I can remember, I have been the one to inherit my father's feelings. I am the true Eldian restorationist. Yes...I sold my mother and father to Marley. As a seven-year-old, I was quick to realize that the search led by the Marleyan authorities was nearing the restorationists, who were headed by my father.” he explained.

“I was certain that if I did nothing, not only would my parents and their comrades be ‘sent to Utopia’, so would my grandparents and I.” Anna blinked at his words. He didn't seem to be lying. If he was, he had to have been much better than her; and no one was better than her at lying.