Chapter 32

Dedicated Chapter Song: Loser - Falling in Reverse

If you call this winning, why do I feel like a loser?
(Ruby)

If you call this winning, why do I feel like a loser?(Ruby)

“Momma?” Aurora kicked her feet off the edge of her bed. “Hm?” Rika replied, slipping in her brown colored contacts for a brand new day. “Why do you wear different colored eyes in front of everyone?”

“Why?” Rika smiled, glancing at her daughter. Valentina looked up from her book and sighed. “Because it's to protect us, dummy.”

“Well... You're on the right track, Val,” Rika laughed ever so softly. “See, Rory, my real eyes are something special. They reveal who I actually am. If someone saw them, they'll recognize me instantly and take you two far away. You'll never see me or your dad again—”

“But Zeke isn't our dad!” Val said, pulling the drawing of Levi out of her mother's bedside table. “This man is! Just admit it, Mom.... he's dead, isn't he?”

“No. I don't believe he is.” Rika shook her head, sitting down on the bed beside her daughters. “You see, that raw strength I've asked you both to suppress...that comes from him. I have it too...but mine was only stronger due to something put into my blood to enhance my powers.”

“If he's so strong, why hasn't he come for us yet?”

“He will.”

“You've been saying that forever.” whined Aurora. Rika sighed, tapping her bottom lip as she tried to think of a way to explain the situation to them. “Rory, you remember Mr. Krueger?”

“The nice man at the hospital?”

“Yes. He isn't who he says he is either. In fact... that's Zeke's half brother and a good friend of your father's.”

“He is?!” Aurora gasped.

“You can't tell anyone about him.” Rika hissed. “His name is Eren Jaeger and he's an enemy of Marley's but not of mine and not of Zeke's. He's going to be our ticket home.”

“Does he know about us?” Val asked. “Does father know?”

Rika glanced down at the ground and quietly sighed. “Why don't we get some fresh air, huh? You two have been hard at work lately.”

“Can we go to the bakery?” Aurora excitedly asked, leaping off the bed. “If that's what you so desire.” Rika crooned, grabbing her overcoat and slipping it on over her dress. “Come on, Val! Cake is waiting for us!”

The two girls rushed out of the house and out into the street, where things seemed to be lively and full of excitement all of a sudden.

“What in the—” Rika stared at the brightly decorated streets flooded with loud music, tents full of foreign foods and wares and people seeming to ignore the obvious threats of war. “What the hell is this? A festival? Now of all times?” Rika furrowed her eyebrows, wondering if this was one of Zeke's ideas.