Chapter 28

Dedicated Chapter Song: I Am Moana (Song of the Ancestors) - Moana OST

Sometimes the world seems against you. The journey may leave a scar. But scars can heal and reveal just where you are.
(To Anna)

5 Years Ago:

5 Years Ago:

Anna panted heavily as she shakily aimed her gun at the dying woman before her. One more shot was all it took. One more shot and it was over. But as her friends and loved ones screamed for her from the closed off wall of iceburst crystal, Anna thought...maybe dying wasn't so bad after all. If she did live, things would never be the same. She'd return to jail once more for posing as nobility— and more than likely would not face such kind arrangements afterwards.

Five seconds left until Anna would black out from blood loss.

“Stupid...bitch...” Hysteria seethed. The small cavern they were stuck in filled with black and red smoke. Anna had to act now; and fast. She brought her shaking hand up and aimed the gun at Hysteria's bleeding chest. “I'd say ‘rest in peace’,” Anna crowed. “but there's no rest for the wicked.”

Bang! Bang!

Hysteria's bullet fired at the same time, but missed, and broke off another section of crystal. If Ruby was using her thermo vision, the crystal would've blocked Anna's signal completely.

Anna ducked through the crack to the other side of the Wall just before Wall Maria was sealed for good. She panted heavily and glanced down to see a cloud of steam coming from her wounds. “...huh...?” she breathed, feeling her blood evaporate and clean itself from her skin. It was strange. It was almost as if her powers had been returned to her. If that were the case...

She cut into her hand.

Nothing happened.

She bit it.

Nothing happened.

No explosion, no lightning bolt. Just the steam from it healing. From beyond the wall she could've sworn she heard someone screaming in agony. Though she'd come to know everyone's screams, grunts, moans and whines by now, she could not tell whose it was.

“I'm sorry, Levi...” she whispered, catching a glimpse of the quadrupedal Titan in the distance. “This fight isn't over. Not by a long shot.” her bright gold and blue eyes spotted a runaway horse that somehow had managed to make it to the outer Wall during all the commotion. Anna whistled for it to come to her, and it did.

“Shhh, shhhh,” she cooed, seeing how distressed it was. “It's okay. It's okay. I'm a friend. I just need you to help me, okay? Then I'll set you free.” Luckily the horse was a supply one that hadn't quite fulfilled its duty to the fullest extent. Anna swung herself up onto its back and strapped herself in. One last time, she looked at the home she'd be leaving behind.