Chapter 16

Dedicated Chapter Song: My Last Breathe - Evanescence

Hold on to me, love. You know I can't stay long. All I wanted to say was, "I love you and I'm not afraid." Can you hear me? Can you feel me in your arms?
(Anna)

" Can you hear me? Can you feel me in your arms?(Anna)

“How... terribly ironic,” Anna muttered, tying the silk ribbon to her black lace mask underneath her brunette curls. “A black mask...” Levi observed, adjusting his own mask that was identical to hers, only more masculine for his face shape. “And a masquerade ball. Whoever orchestrated this has a terrible sense of humor.” she huffed, once more adjusting her crown. “I can't argue with that.” Levi agreed.

“Well, tonight, we get to be someone else for a bit. Not like... that hasn't been my entire life but...you get the point.” she nervously laughed, tugging at her hair. “This is...so not timed well.” she exhaled.

“Agreed. Unfortunately we can't just ditch this party.” Levi pointed out. “Yeah. I wish we could.” Anna nodded, slowly opening the door to their room. “It's now or never, darling.”

From downstairs in the ballroom the rest of the members of the Survey Corps were also putting on their own acts. No one was happy except for the elite society members that were forced to be there. “This party sucks,” Jean muttered, slamming his back against the wall beside Ruby. “I've never been to a party, but I have to agree. This was really poorly timed.” she adjusted her skull mask that ironically made her look exactly like her Titan form. “And I'm not overly fond of corsets.”

“I think you look good in it.” Jean smiled at her. “Enjoying the party?” Eren sauntered towards them. He, like Ruby, had a mask that ironically looked like his Titan form, covering the right side of his face. “This place is making me lose my mind,” Ruby exhaled. “I just can't wait to get out of this dress and actually put my life towards something meaningful.”

“Well, it's like Captain Levi said earlier. Tonight is just for fun. Tomorrow we go back to the real world." Eren extended out his arm and offered his hand to Ruby. “May I have this dance?” But Ruby shook her head in denial. “I don't... I don't think Mikasa would like that.”

“Kch, she's not my mother, Rubianne. She doesn't get to decide who I spend my time with.” Ruby glanced at Jean for help. “What would Rose have wanted?” he murmured under his breath. Her bright green eyes saddened at the mention of her sister's name. Hesitantly, she placed her white gloved hand in Eren's and allowed him to pull her into the sea of dancing bodies.

“This is...” Ruby exhaled, her green eyes scanning the area. “This doesn't feel right.” she muttered, keeping an eye on everyone's heat signatures. “Just focus on dancing for tonight.” Eren reminded. Ruby let out a laugh. “I'm starting to sound like my sister. God, what's happening to me?” she moved her hands from his and wrapped them around his neck. Eren slowly slid his arms around her waist and pulled her closer to him. “We’re all stressed out.” he spoke quietly. “I'm impressed Anna is managing to fake a smile or two being the Queen now.”