Chapter 10

“Hey, Em,” I said, sitting down at the table. There was a ton of food stacked on the table, but there were no guys in the house.

I remembered passing out in my bed, wrapped in Paul's arms, but when I woke up he was gone.

“They'll be back in about ten,” she said, catching my glances.

“Okay,” I said, nodding tiredly. “I'll talk to Paul when he gets back.”

“You look beat,” she said, handing me a cup of coffee.

I nodded in agreement, happily accepting the warmth of the mug.

“How'd you sleep?” She asked.

“Good,” I said.

“He told you last night,” she said, causing me to nod.

“Em, how'd you take it?” I asked.

“Um, well, I knew I was in love with Sam when he wolfed out while I was too close. That's how I got the scars,” she said.

“And you're still with him?” I asked.

“Yeah, I love him. A lot. He's the one for me. Besides, being away from him physically hurts both of us. We'd both be sick and exhausted if not dead right now if I had left him,” she said.

“Is,” I started as Sam whistled. “Is that how imprinting works?”

She nodded as Sam walked in and planted kisses all across her right cheek. I smiled at the love he has for her. It was an accident, and I knew he regretted it.

“Hey, beautiful. How'd you sleep?” Paul asked as he walked up to me and kissed my cheek.

“Good,” I mumbled, standing up for him to take a seat before sitting down in his lap.

“You're too cute,” Jared said, grabbing a pancake and ripping it in half. “But stop. Some of us are trying to eat.” He threw half the pancake at Paul and I, causing me to laugh slightly.

I grabbed a muffin and started pulling it apart. I ate it in small increments while Jared and Paul started making jokes about random things. I listened to the rather sporadic conversations, wishing life could be like this forever.

“I’m going to go see Bella,” Jake said.

“How long has she known about you guys?” I asked.

“A few months,” he said.

“Is she your-?” I started to ask, but got cut off quickly.

“No,” he said. “Dad wanted her to know.”

“She’s dating Edward Cullen,” Jared said, sneering the name.

“Why does she know about you guys then?” I asked.

“Billy asked to tell her to warn her. He’s scared she’s going to die and that will literally kill Charlie,” Sam said. Jake took off out the back door, and Jared started making jokes to lighten the mood.

“Babygirl,” Paul whispered in my ear. “We need to talk.” Definitely not the way I wanted to start the summer before my senior year of high school, but I can always hope it’s for the best.

“What’s up?” I asked, walking outside with him.

“We, the pack, have a fight with an army of newborns,” he said.

“What? When?” I asked, growing increasingly nervous.

“Please, calm down,” he said, grabbing my hands instinctively. The skin on skin contact calmed me greatly.

“When?” I asked.

“Two days,” he said. I almost broke down and started crying in the middle of the backyard. I could feel my chest start to tighten as Paul pulled me into his chest and held me so I would calm down. Even wrapped in his arms, I was feeling the anxiety of the impending fight.

“Shh,” he cooed softly while running his fingers through my hair. He continued to hold me while I steadied my breath and focused back on the situation at hand.

“How dangerous is it going to be?” I asked.

“Carlisle expects some casualties,” he said. “But I’m going to do my best to come back to you in one piece. Okay, beautiful?”

“You better,” I said, pulling away from him just enough to look him in the eyes.

“I will,” he said, kissing my nose, causing me to blush. Next thing I knew, he kissed my lips softly and slowly, causing electricity to dance across my lips.