Chapter 48

"Dad," Paul said, walking into the house. It smelled as if someone had been here cooking all day. It didn't smell quite as good as Emily's, but it was still decent.

"Hey son. How're you?" A man who looked like I imagine Paul will in thirty years said.

"I'm good sir. You?" Paul responded.

"Good. I quit drinking. I, we really just want our son back," he said.

"We? Our?" Paul questioned.

"There's my little boy," a woman in her late fourties said.

"I'm not your little anything. You left five years ago with another man," Paul said. I could tell he was becoming angry so I released my crutch and grabbed onto his bicep. He instantly relaxed as the imprint bond worked stronger through our physical contact.

"And who do you think you are?" The woman snarled at me.

"Dad, Amanda, this is Destiny. My girlfriend," Paul said.

"It's nice to meet you," I said softly.

"And what happened to your leg? Hmm? Some stupid accident probably. Were you trying to kill just yourself or my son too," the woman snapped at me.

"I had cancer," I said. "And for the record, your son has been amazing to me. I'd say thanks for raising him right but that wasn't you."

"How dare you come into my house and speak to me like that," she raised her voice and her hand. Paul stepped in front of me.

"If you want anything to do with me, put that hand down and never raise it to her or anyone ever again," Paul said, anger boiling his blood. Every muscle in his body was tensing, pulling the fabric of his shirt tighter against his skin.

"Don't think you get to come in here and talk to your mother like that son," his dad snapped. His hand flew to Paul's face, making contact. Paul didn't even budge. He tensed more, and I grabbed his hand.

"Paul, you have to calm down. Paul, I'm not kidding. I love you babe," I said. I kissed his cheek, but it was cut short by his mother throwing me away from him.

"Paul, get out of here. I'll call Sam," I said. He turned and took off out the door as I found my phone and called Emily's home phone.

"What's wrong?" Sam's anxious voice asked.

"Send someone to find Paul. Come pick me up. I'll explain later," I said. I was beyond angry, but found it within myself to remain as calm as possible as I made my way to my feet.

"I'm gonna kill em," he said.

"No, Sam. It's not worth it. They're not worth it," I said, glaring at the two as they stared at me.

"I'll be there in two," he said.

"See ya," I said, hanging up the phone and returning it to the pocket of my jeans.

"I hope you're happy together because you'll never be seeing Paul again," I spat as I headed towards the front door.

"You don't control my son," she said.

"I don't have to," I said. "He was pissed that you raised a hand to me. Actually hitting him was the icing on the cake. You'll never see him again."

"You have no right to talk to your elders that way young lady," Paul's dad said, raising his voice and stepping forward. I heard Sam pull up out front and come running in.

"Yeah, because a drunk and a whore deserve a lot of respect," I said. Sam pushed the door open and was between me and then within seconds.

"You ever raise your hand at her again and you'll be off tribal lands before you can say sorry," Sam warned.

"Good thing you're not an elder then, isn't it?" Amanda seethed.

"Sam, come on," I said, grabbing his hand and pulling him towards the door.

"You're lucky my fiance is waiting at home with dinner for us or I'd stay and fight," Sam said. We turned and walked out of the house together. My heart was racing as my anxiety reached new heights. I needed to see Paul now.