Chapter 36

This is it. Today's the surgery that will hopefully save my life. The day I've been dreading for what feels like years, though it's been only days. I don't want today to be happening but at the same time I want nothing more than for today to be here. I don't want to go through the surgery and recovery, but I want nothing more than what those troubles will bring.

"You ready?" Paul asked, walking into the room.

"Physically, yes. Mentally and emotionally, no," I said.

"Come on, babe," Paul said. I stood up, grabbing my crutches and hobbling out to the car. Much to my pleasure, Emily had refused to make the boys breakfast while I was still here since I couldn't eat this morning. It was weird to be walking through the house and not have it smell of some type of food, but at the same time it was nice because I was hungry.

The car ride was deadly silent. Sam had borrowed a car from Jake, a Rabbit or something like that, so all five of us could fit. Paul, Alex, and I were all crammed into the back seat. The only plus side was that I had an excuse to cuddle into Paul. Sam was holding Emily's hand to try and soothe her anxiety, and Paul was holding me for the same reason. Alex was typing away every few minutes on his phone. I knew he was talking to Embry since Sam had allowed him to miss school so long as he "patrolled" in human form.

When we got to the hospital, I went through all the pre-op stuff quickly, hoping to get this surgery over and done with as soon as possible. I was changed into a hospital gown, sitting in the room I'd be staying in for a few days when a nurse came in to give me the IV I'd need for the surgery.

As soon as it registered as to why she was there, my heartbeat quickened and my breathing became more labored. Paul wrapped his arms around me, burying my face in his shoulder. His hand pressed against the back of my head, holding it in place.

"Shh, babygirl. You're okay," Paul whispered soothingly. "It's okay. You're okay." I tried to steady my breathing as he continued to talk to me. Alex was rubbing my back while somehow managing to stay out of the nurse's way. I felt the familiar pinch in the back of my left hand.

"You're okay babygirl," Paul said, kissing the top of my head as his arms loosened around me. I left my face buried in his shoulder, hoping that his familiar scent would calm me. It worked.

A little while later, the same nurse returned.

"Ready?" She asked.

"I don't really have a choice," I said.

"Alright, let's take you back then," she said. "You guys can wait right here."

"Thanks," Emily said. I felt the familiar tingle in my skin as Paul pressed his lips to my hairline.

"See ya later, love," I said.

"See ya soon, baby girl," he said. The nurse wheeled me off before they gave me some drugs to knock me out. It just kind of felt like I was falling asleep, nothing else. That's all I felt. It was even the wonderful, restful sort of sleep.

A/N: So, I've never actually had surgery before. If it's all sorts of messed up I'm sorry. I tried my best. Anyways, I hope you're enjoying this story. ~Erynn