Chapter 24

“Babe,” Paul said, sitting down on my bed across from me.

“Paul,” I said, looking up at him. No matter how many times I see him, I always find something different from the last time. It always amazes me how much I can miss at first glance.

“What do you want to do?” He asked.

“Well, I don't really wanna go through chemo,” I said. “I heard it can be pretty rough.”

“So, do you want to try Old Quil's methods, or do you just want to allow them to amputate however much they need to in order to cure you?”

“Paul, I don't know,” I said, becoming angry with him. No one was understanding that the first time around I was not filled in on anything other than I had cancer and in order to not die they were amputating my leg.

“Destiny, who's going to make these decisions then?” He asked. “It's always about how it's your body with you, but you don't want to make a decision.” He was beyond angry, but I was hoping it wasn't at me. I refused to look up into his eyes because I knew I'd submit to whatever he was saying because of the imprint bond.

“If you can't handle the fact that I haven't made a major life decision in less than twelve hours then you need to get the hell out of my life,” I yelled back. “If you can't handle that I don't know how I want to deal with this, then you can't handle the fact that I have cancer and that there's the possibility I can die. Get the fuck out and stay out.”

“Maybe you're right,” he yelled back. “Do you know how much it sucked that I, the one and only player in La Push, imprinted on the amputee? I could have any girl I wanted before you came along. The gods must've seriously fucked up giving the hottest guy in La Push to the fucking cancer patient from the Makah Tribe.”

“I should've listened to all those girls at school. When they found out about us they warned me you were no good. They told me you would just cheat on me or leave me because of my leg, but I chose not to listen because I loved you. But, if you can't accept me the way I am you need to leave,” I yelled.

“I can't fucking believe you,” he yelled.

“Why? What did I do? It's not like I chose to get cancer. It's not like I wanted to be the imprint of the hothead. Sure, when we got together I thought that I'd be the one you'd change for. That, maybe, somehow, the gods had a bigger plan for me than to be the cancer patient. You know what Paul, people don't ever change, do they?” I yelled. I looked up at him and he was shaking. I could tell he was on the brink of phasing but I didn't care. I'd never been more terrified and angry at the same time in my life.

“I did change for you Destiny. I never cheated on you. When the girls I used to flirt with would try to flirt with me I brushed them off,” he said.

I cut him off, “but you couldn't tell them you had a girlfriend?”

“That doesn't stop that type of girl,” he said. “I did change for you. Maybe you're the one who needed to change for this to have worked. You always expect everyone to feel bad for you because you had cancer and your parents died in a car accident. News flash, the world doesn't revolve around you.”

“I don't want it to. Do you think I want the attention that having a fake leg gets me? Do you think I want to cry myself to sleep because of the remarks that aren't intended for me to hear but I hear them anyways? Do you think I want people to take pity on me because my asshole of a father died?” I asked.

“I think you're so used to having to seek out attention that you don't even realize you are doing it,” he said.

“Oh, so now I an attention whore too?”

“How often am I allowed to hang out with Jared alone now?” He asked. “Or any of the guys. You're always there.”

“Did you ever say 'hey, by the way, I am gonna hang out with the guys tonight’? No you never did. You always wanted to be here with me, or at least that's how it appeared to me,” I said.

“Maybe I didn't,” he responded.

“So why the hell didn't you say something?” I asked.

“Because I love you and I wanted to be with you, but Jesus, I was gone for three minutes and you were asking where I was,” he said.

“Sorry, for wanting to spend time with the person I love,” I said.

“It fucking ridiculous,” he said. “You're ridiculous.”

“Then why are you still here?” I asked. “If I'm so ridiculous, why don't you just leave me already? Make this easier on both of us.”

“Fine then, I will,” he said, taking off out of my room. I heard him leave the house, practically tearing things apart on his way.

I collapsed on my bed and just started crying like a baby.