Chapter 30

It's been a few days since Old Quil came to visit. Since it's Saturday morning and Paul wasn't on patrol or sleeping, we were laying on the couch in the living room together, watching some Halloween movie, but not the super scary type.

“Babygirl,” Paul said, kissing my forehead gently as we laid on the couch together. I was curled into his side, cuddling with him instead of using a blanket.

“Hmm,” I hummed instead of speaking. Even though a few days ago I wanted nothing to do with Paul, I'm super happy we made up. There's no one in the world I'd rather cuddle with to watch fall movies.

“I love fall,” he said. I moved slightly to look at him.

“You mean, you actually like something other than me and violence?” I asked faking shock rather well.

“Well, I do love you, but fall is my favorite season. There's football and Halloween, which includes pranks. There's the air being crisper and smelling way different. And I can start to wear shirts and stuff again without dying of a heatstroke. There's so many pretty colors of leaves,” he said.

I smiled happily. I could listen to him talk for hours and hours without any issues. His smooth voice sounded different, maybe a little faster and higher, as his voice filled with excitement.

“I love fall too, baby,” I said. “There's pumpkin spice everything. There's the cute sweaters and such that I get to wear. There's hot apple cider.”

“Do you wanna go out tonight?” Paul asked suddenly.

“Like, a date?” I asked.

“Yeah, why?” He asked.

“It's just we haven't been on an actual date in so, so long,” I said.

“Please go on a date with me tonight,” Paul said, placing a finger under my chin to tilt my head and look at him. I smiled at the soft bit of dominance in his action. I hated myself for it, but the fact that I'm an imprint made me want to submit to my wolf wholeheartedly.

“I'd love to, babe,” I said. I leaned up to press my lips to his when Sam cleared his throat.

“Hey, no baby making on my furniture,” Sam said.

“We'll just go do it on mine then,” Paul snapped.

“Um, no,” I said.

“Old Quil is here,” Sam said. I sat up and made my way to the dining room where Old Quil and Emily were sitting at the table. I took a seat beside Emily, and Paul sat down beside me, placing his hand on my denim clad thigh reassuringly.

“Hello, Destiny, Paul,” Old Quil said, nodding to each of us politely.

“Hello,” I said.

“I've been through everything I can think of, and none of the tribal histories address cancer. I did some research though, and my official opinion as the medicine man for the Quileute tribe is to do whatever your doctor suggests. Chemo will help in your situation, but so will amputation. Whatever decision you come to, we will pray for you. I'm sorry we couldn't be of more help dear,” Old Quil said. I felt the tears rolling down my cheeks before I'd even known what was happening.

“Thank you,” I said, wiping at my cheeks and eyes quickly. “For caring about me.”

“Of course, Destiny. Everyone here loves you,” Old Quil said.

“Thanks,” I said softly, looking down at my hand that had found its way to Paul's.

“You four have a lot to talk about, so I'm going to leave you to it,” Old Quil said. Sam stood up to show him out, and Paul scooted closer to me, waiting until Old Quil was out of the room to pull me into his lap. He held me close to his chest as if I'd die when he let me go.

“Destiny,” Emily said softly.

“Amputation,” I said. “I don't want to go through chemo. I learned to walk without a leg once. I can do it again.”

“This is going to put school on hold,” Emily said.

“I have Alex and the guys. Once I get better enough to get around via wheelchair they will help me out during school,” I said.

“Are you sure this is what you want, babygirl?” Paul asked, kissing my clothed shoulder gently.

“Yeah. I really, really don't want to go through chemo, so it's looking like my only option is amputation of the remainder of my left leg,” I said.