Chapter 19

The next few months were fairly peaceful. Jake took off because Bella and Cullen were getting married. Another boy, Collin Littlesea, phased. But otherwise, there was a peacefulness surrounding the pack.

Paul and I spent a bunch of time with Bobby and Taylor before they moved to California for college. They had gotten into the same college, so three weeks after Bella's wedding, Charlie and Taylor's dad moved the two into an apartment that Taylor's dad was paying for.

Little did we know that was just the calm before the storm.

Jake's been back about three weeks, and he just got word of Bella being home from her honeymoon.

“I'm going to see her,” he took off from Emily's on his motorcycle.

“Maybe he'll catch on that she's not good for him,” I mumbled but they all heard.

“As if,” Leah scoffed. I smiled at her as I picked at my lunch. She returned the gesture, surprising everyone else. Leah and I have been close for a while, so when it's just us hanging out she does smile.

“I've got patrol. Love you, Dest,” Paul said, kissing my cheek.

“Love you too, Paul,” I said as he took off with Jared.

“Okay, so senior project,” Emily said, looking at me.

“I don't know,” I said. “Probably just something about the cancer.”

“What if we did a production of a play?” Alex asked.

“You're the one that's into acting,” I said. “I'll cast it and direct it.”

“Talk to the teacher Monday,” Kim said. “You'll need to start soon.”

“Yeah, I know,” I said.

“I've gotta go,” Kim said. She headed outside as Alex and I started trying to figure out which play to produce.

“Romeo and Juliet. Modernized,” I said.

“Like, a theater group that splits into opposing sections because the first think it's a beautiful tragedy about young love and the second thinks it's a cautionary tale of the stupidity of love,” he said.

“I love it,” I replied. We continued working on it until we were interrupted by a howl and the entire pack running out the door and phasing mid-step.

“What's going on?” Alex asked Em.

“I don't know,” she said. “Someone called a pack meeting. Probably Jake.” There was another howl, this one more painful than the last.

“I've never heard that before,” she said. I nodded as Alex and I talked about the play. We got a plan and I started writing a script so we'd have a sample for the teacher's board on Monday.

“We need to talk,” Sam said, walking over to Em and grabbing her hand.

“Okay,” she said and they headed off out the back door.

“That's odd,” I said, but went back to writing.

We had five pages written when Paul and Embry came in, looking for us.

“Can we talk?” Paul asked. I looked at Alex but he was focused on Embry. I closed my laptop and nodded.

“Come on,” he said, leading me up to my room.

We sat down on my bed together and faced each other.

“What's going on?” I asked.

“Jake left the pack, and Seth and Leah followed him,” Paul said.

“So, I'm not going to see them again am I?” I asked.

“Sam's trying to get them back,” Paul said.

“If you say so,” I said. “Leah's a bitch who doesn't want to have to follow her ex around all the time.”

“We know,” Paul said. “Come here.” He pulled me into his arms and held me against his chest.

“Shh,” he whispered, rubbing my back. “It's okay. She still loves you.”

“What?” I asked.

“Right before she took off she asked to speak to me privately so we ran off and phased back. She asked me to let you know that she still loves you and isn't doing this to hurt you,” he said.

Leah is my best friend, but now I don't even have her.